xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kevlar557

AVG: Computer Killer? I dont know if this goes here but...

Yesterday, I downloaded AVG anti-virus free edition, and it found about 4 trojans. They were all ad-ware, but they were still viruses. Anyway, I healed all of the files, and now I can't get my dial-up to send or recieve any information. It is almost like one of the trojans I healed, was a internet protocol. Most of my friends, and myself are completely baffled on what is wrong, and what to do about it. My final resort is to back up any information I can, and format the hard drive. If anyone has any ideas on what I can do, that would be appreciated.

Maybe one of the viruses ware a "dialer"a dialer changes your network settings so that your internet connection is routed through a different hpone number (usually high priced)go into your internet settings and double check the hpone number, username, and re-enter your ISP password.so you have the money to buy a new computer every year, but you are still on dialup. your mad.and that animation under your name is disturbing.. stop punching me !

I re-entered all of my ISP settings, and still nothing. My mother is a veteran and she gets a computer every 2 years, and I buy a new computer every other year, because my parents always get some kind of virus on it, and it doesnt work anymore. Thats why I get a new computer every year. I cant get DSL out where I live, and cable is $70, so I can live with dial-up

Couple of things!Does your modem work? Do you hear dial-tones?If modem works and you are connecting to the isp but nothing show up in the browser (is the browser IE or different), check to see if there is a proxy setting. Some browser hijacks use a proxy setting to redirect you. Click start, control panel, Internet Options. Select the Connections tab and click "LAN Settings..." (XP Pro) and see if the "Use Proxy Server is checked. (It's not supposed to affect dialup or vpn in XP Pro).If you have another OS I don't remember if dialup is affected.Give up some specific info to receive some specific answers.Nils

I buy a new computer every other year, because my parents always get some kind of virus on it, and it doesnt work anymore.

duuuude !!! let me save you £600 per year.... When Windows degrades to an un-usable state... either 1) switch OS's 2) format and Re-install windows. that will remove ALL virii, and return your PC to the state it was in when you bought it. its much easyer than it sounds, the instruction manual will guide you through.

This is interesting since i use AVG and have done for a while and have never suffered any problems. The only thing i could think is that you maybe did something else as well as installing AVG? freak coincidence? i didn't even think AVG looked at dialers.... sounds very strange. another thought, have you looked at the AVG forums (if any exist)?

The modem appears to be working correctly, because I do connect to my ISP. I have XP pro, 2.6 P4, 512, dual channel DDR, and 9800 pro 256 meg, all in a 2 year old gateway box. I really dont want to reformat, but it seems like I will have to. Would I be able to partition the drive, and re-install XP on the other partition, than transfer over all of my files?

I would suggest trying what was stated before about checking to see if internet explorer has been set to operate through a proxy. I would only suggest reinstalling your pc as a last resort. I generally try to reinstall every year or so because the computer just gets naturally bogged down. I have been using AVG for the past few years and haven't had any problems with it as well I think it is one of the best free virus scanners available. So with that I think it was one of the viruses that it removed that cause the problem and not AVG itself.

Would I be able to partition the drive, and re-install XP on the other partition, than transfer over all of my files?

you mean re-partiton the drive... first you would have to shrink the partiton that windows is currently installed on, then generate a new partiton, and install windows to that...

provided you never boot the origonal partiton, the new one should be safe from any virii on the origonal partiton.

Anyways... as for shrinking the partiton, you cannot shrink a mounted partiton, which means you need a boot CD capable of re-sizeing NTFS (assuming you use NTFS ?)

the only boot cd i know of which can do this is Knoppix. http://www.knoppix.com/
but its a big download.. 700 megs.

edit: hey.. didnt you say you had several computers.. why not just FTP over your files to a different machine while you re-install.

i have thought of ftping the files, but I don't have network cards on those computers, and the hard drive space is insufficient to transfer the files. Yes, I am using NTFS on the hard drive. How exactly would I re-partition the drive. Would I have to get an app like Partition Magic, or is there a free program somewhere?

How exactly would I re-partition the drive. Would I have to get an app like Partition Magic, or is there a free program somewhere?

Like i said, the only way i know of is with Knoppix, using the porgram qt-parted.
i posted the link in my last post.

boot the knoppix CD, run qt-parted as root, shrink the NFTS partiton, so there is enough un-partitoned space on the disk to backup your work (add about 10% to compensate for space wasted by NTFS)

then shutdown, and boot your windowsXP cd, when it asks where you want to install Windows, Select the un partitoned space, create a partiton consuming the un-partitoned space, and allow windows to format it, and install windows to it.

Heya Mate,

Sounds like you, and your family, could benefit from getting rid of microsoft. That will solve your virus/trojan problems. I have been running Linux/Unix exclusively the past few years. I still have dinosaur machines (PIII 600 and a PII 266 unix firewall) but have not experienced any issues.

Like Quijibow, I would recommend the knoppix boot disk. Partition your hard drive. While you are at it ... load Knoppix onto one of your new partitions. Learn to use it and soon you'll be ditching the MS crap out the door.

cheers

hashbang

Posted Image