xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
everydaysushi

Any Photographers Out There? Whats the perfect image size?

Wow, excellent tips! Bonus for you!! :) Yes, that's a good point about the minimum screen resolution being at 800x600. I've been using a width of 6" (at 72dpi) for horizontal, but a width of 5" for vertical... It's a good point about the fact that people can't print well with 72dpi, but I guess no one knows anything about watermarking using any image processing softwares? Or is that a thing of the past...I guess I won't be so paranoid. ;) Since there's tons of webspace and image-hosting sites out there, more and more pictures are being posted... so I won't be THAT special anymore. Which is a good thing, in this case, because I can just blend in. ;))ps. I was taught in photo class to use a 2-pixel black border around my photos.. but sometimes if the photo is not a perfect 4x6 or whatever, the black border doesn't show up properly. IE the left, bottom and right sides will show a black border but the top won't. (I use Corel, so I have to increase Page Size with black background; I'm not sure if the same problem would occur using Photoshop's Stroke feature...) :(

O_o. Thank you! O_o.The thing about watermarking is more of, if people want to steal your photo, they will, regardless of watermarking and the like. There are ways to get around it, and people will find it. The most failsafe way, I feel, is still making sure that people can't like print your photos and claim it's theirs. It's also good to make sure you have a copy of your photos, like on a CD or something (if you are really paranoid you can send the CD to yourself by registered mail, someone mentioned that in a post about copyright), just in case anything crops up, and you need to prove you took the photo. I still have my negatives so no argument there. What do you mean by the border won't show up if it's not a perfect 4x6? Use this method: Go to Photoshop CS, open up your photo, go to Image>Canvas Size, under "New size" change to "relative", and then type in (for a 2 pixel border all around) 4 in the Width and 4 in the Height, and then Black in the "canvas extension color". Then you'd get a 2-pixel black border around your picture no matter what size it was in the first place. About the colour, white or black should do great. I find instances in real life interesting: Professional galleries tend to go for white background, and photography competitions tend to mount on black cardboard. I still believe white is better as a border/background, though there have been photographers who only take shots in black and white and leave a black border... Last time when we mounted our own photos on black cardboard we sliced another border next to the photo and stripped the black paper so we still had a thin white border around the picture and then a thicker black border. It looks great. Maybe you should try having a white border sometimes.

Since this topic is pretty much covered, I'll just add a short snippit.Since I sell my prints online, I need people to see what they're buying. However, I typically keep the image size fairly small, somewhere in the 300x500 range. That way, people can see the photos, but they can't easily take them and print them out. Nothing's worse than losing a sale to someone's printer.

Me again. I'm about to build a new site to house my photography/portfolio, and I realize that the same thought always occurs when I'm about to get started. What's the perfect image size? I'm talking specifically about sites that house a lot of photography/images.

My first sites had rather large photos, because I thought bigger was better. With digicams getting better resolution and spitting out bigger and bigger pics, it seemed reasonable. But it was annoying how the scrolling bar would appear on the right when the image reached "page-capacity" so I scaled down the size. Now, I'm at about a 400x600 pixel size happiness (see below). But is that still too big?

Posted Image

And while I've got your expert attention on the subject, I assume most photo sites have functions that allow you to "slideshow" through them... (ie. next/previous). Does anyone have suggestions for how I could set that up, WITHOUT having superior knowledge in advanced scripts (I can only write HTML). It seems to me that I'd have to use some Java or something for that... have some kind of numerical sequencing system IF NEXT=TRUE, THEN X+1, X being the picture, pictures numbered 1-10. Ok I just made that up, but you get the picture (HAH!)

But really, I need help.  :)

Notice from microscopic^earthling:
Moved to Desgning > Photography

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello, that's a really pretty picture, i am a photographer myself, and that picture reminds me of a picture i took coming down into south lake tahoe, california from the sacramento area. and it was early in the morning and the lake was covered with fog, even when you get down to the lake you couldn't see it till the afternoon time.

But anyways, props on the picture, where was it taken?

I think 400 by 600 is a good size for you. My view on this whole thing however is that photos should be big enough to show the expression that they are meant to show the viewers. Size issue obviously hurts that but you gotta do what you gotta do. Slideshow is something you can make in flash, I don't think it's that hard to do, try looking around the net for tutorial or what not. kirupa.com is a good flash tutorial site... but there're a lot of them out there right now. So browse the net and I'm sure you will find something.Then you can simply put your flash .swf file onto your page and if that's convenient enough for you then great.