xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hajime

Dial-up Auto Dc

Does anyone hav any idea as to why my dialup connection auto disconects/ auto time-out after 15 minutes online time?? This has been going on for quiet some time and I cant figure out why?I hav installed my driver properly.

Who is your Internet provider,what OS are you using,is it an internal, external, or on Motherboard modem'do you have call waiting?just a few questions that will make it easier to trouble shoot.Nils

I think this could be your problem like r3d said timeout set to 15 minutes.Here is what to do.If you are using IE Select tools then internet options, then connections. Highlight internet (default), then select settings. Under dial-up settings select properties next to user name, then options. You will see idle time before hanging up. Set the time in that window. Mine is set to four hours.What really happen is if there is no keyboard activity within the given time the hang up time is set to, the modem will hang up. Now if you set it to never the modem will not hang up and if you don’t remember to disconnect the modem you could stay connected until when ever you go back to your computer. Then it could be a day or two like in my case before you realize your computer is on line. It’s a good thing I was not paying by the hour.If you are using FirefoxThe setting can also be done by clicking start (windows xp) connect to, then internet. Select properties then options you will get to the same window. You can use this way for both browsers.

Do you use outlook or any similar email clients to download mails ?? I'd faced this problem once, long back - coz there's an option in outlook to disconnect after finishing mail downloads - this option was turned on - and I didn't know about it. I tried all of those idle time hangup etc etc.. played around with all the setting before I noticed that it dropped the line right after I checked mails. Till then it made life hell for me.. Make sure none of your internet clients have any kind of autodc option like this...