xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NilsC

How To Setup Xp Home Security Part 1 Guest user account

Christmas is over and all the new computers are now online.

One issue is that most of them are not patched and secured for Internet use.

This tutorial are targeted to XP Home version and to the Guest Account issue. The Guest Account is installed by default and there is no easy way to "truly disable it" or enable password protection for that account.

I just turned off the Guest Account I’m safe! That is where you are wrong, the Guest Account is still running. You just can’t log into it using the windows GUI (Graphic User Interface).

The Guest Account are still running In the background because it’s an integral part of the network file and folder-sharing engine. This means that anyone on the Internet that can see your computer can see any file or folder that are shared with simple file sharing.

If you have a firewall running you are more secure because the firewall (when configured correctly) offers more protection (Firewall will be the next part of this how-to).

XP Home uses the Guest Account (even after you turned it off) to authenticate remote users and give them access to shared resources on your computer. This can now defeat the firewall because an authenticated user on a computer on the Internet can still log into your guest account without a password because they are authenticated.

OK, I’ll just hack the guest account and remove it! Wrong move, there are no safe way of disabling the guest account (that I know of) without crippling the computer. Or render it useless for future use.

What is the solution? Passwords protect the guest account! It can be done but you have to be at a command prompt.

Create a good password that are not easily cracked and it should be different from any other password used for regular user accounts. Creating a good password entails using “upper and lower case letters”, “numbers” and symbols. So if your name is “Anyuser Anywhere” and you use a password like Anyuser1 or aanywhere10 it can be cracked fairly easy.

Better choice is to substitute an “A or a” for the symbol @ like @nyuser1 or A@nywhere. It’s better but can still be cracked.

The best passwords are random but difficult to remember:

8 Character password

Password: 4T6Etie!

Phonetics: Four - TANGO - Six - ECHO - tango - india - echo - Exclamation

16 Character password

Password: fEsT4swucUjE?ehE

Phonetics: foxtrot - ECHO - sierra - TANGO - Four - sierra - whiskey - uniform - charlie - UNIFORM - juliet - ECHO - Question - echo - hotel – ECHO

Or you can go to (like I did for the examples):

http://www.pctools.com/guides/

Here is how to set the “Guest Account” password in XP Home:

Start the command prompt. Click on Start, then All Programs, then Accessories and select Command Prompt or Click on Start, then Run and type <command> (without the <> brackets) and Click OK.

Now you are at the command prompt window (Black background and the prompt normally starts with "C:\DOCUME~1\****>" or "C:\>" the path may differ on your computer but that does not matter.

Now type this: net user guest <password> (replace the <password> part with the password you came up with.

So using the password created earlier the command will look like this: net user guest fEsT4swucUjE?ehE

Look at everything and make sure you write down the password, then hit the enter key.

Now you have created a password on the guest account anyone who tries to access files will be stopped, unless you give them the password

Disclaimer: be carfull when changing setting on your computer. If you are not sure what to do get help from someone who know or use Google to search for "Password Protect Guest Account".

Nils

here some:
control panel->admin tools->local sec policy
this one have the basic admin tools to protect your self. change some til you satisfied.
run -> gpedit.msc
this one have almost all admin tools and tweak. have fun editing, you might loose everything if you mess this one.
registry? almost same as gpedit. try to avoid using this one if you don't know what your doing.
ms firewall? basic protection.
tweak ui->just download from ms. less powerfull and harmfull than gpedit.

if you think you need a kick *bottom* protection.
disable some service that you don't need.
uninstall some defualt appz and replace with a quality appz.

*if you feel that you need more protection.
don't connect online and lock your room.

*if you don't know what to do or change to those admin tools. ask google

Security Rules While You r Online, technically;1. NEVER allow any unknown foreign connection coming TO you machine.2. NEVER allow any unknown service/apps acting as a server AT your machine to connect to the internet (offering a connection to outsiders).3. ONLY enable legitimate apps to use internet, such as internet explorer for internet browsing.4. ONLY open your PORT to legitimate services which want to act as a server, such as opening PORT 80 if your machine have a web server.How can you do this? use firewalls apps. i personally like to use zonealarm. easy and secure. i donno about microsoft firewall. i dont really trust microsoft products when it come to security.

local sec policygpedit.msc
registry
tweak ui

for noob this tool are basic/adv administration kit, with this tool you can closed the guest account,rename guest and other default accountr, set the password length, password encryption for any account, set the permission of guest and more...

for noob this tool are basic/adv administration kit, with this tool you can closed the guest account,rename guest and other default accountr, set the password length, password encryption for any account, set the permission of guest and more...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not sure what version of XP HOMe you are using. This tutorial are for XP Home and not for XP Pro.

This quote are from Microsofts Corporate Management

The following corporate management features are not included with Windows XP Home Edition:

* Folder Redirection

* Group Policy settings

* Local Policy settings

* System Policy settings (Poledit.exe)

* Roaming User Profiles

* Offline Files and Folders

* Software Installation and Maintenance

* Remote Installation Services (RIS)

As I said this is XP Home. Maybe you can make the "How to setup XP Pro security" and save me or someone else from writing it.

Please stay on topic because there are huge differences between XP Pro and XP home. If I had put "How to setup XP security" you would have been right on topic and I would have written a non conclusive tutorial.

Nils

lolz, i thought i'm still using the home edition :)

i forgot i've ugrade, my mistake :)

btw registry exist on home ed, i got somethin :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:) Registry, what registry... <g>

I have both XP Home and XP Pro computers and it's frustrating when you get on the xp home with none of the admin features working. :)

Nils