xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rapco

How Do I Know If A Server Supports Smtp

How do i know if my hosting server allows me to use SMTP....The thing is I use XOOPS (my cms).. so, i haven't been able to send messages to mail inboxes through the page..... my guess is.. something about the server.. how can i test it?

Try port scanning the server on port 25, if it's open, it's really likely that there's a smtp server running. OR, try this, make a php script like this:<?phpmail ('yourmailadress@foo.org','test subject','this is a test');?>if you get a mail smtp works.

Yes, the easiest way is to scan port 25.
Open a command prompt and type:

telnet <host> 25
If you get a nice message like:
220-panda.unixbsd.info ESMTP Exim 4.43 #1 Sun, 26 Dec 2004 03:17:49 -0800220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,220 and/or bulk e-mail.

Then you have SMTP.

hummm... ok, i'll do the port 25 test.. but...where do i have to do what!!!?????i don't think i have telnet... is there any way to do it from a DOS promt????

I tried typing:Microsoft Tenet>Xisto.com 25Microsoft Tenet>telnet Xisto.com 25Microsoft Tenet>ns1.astahost.com 25Microsoft Tenet>telnet ns1.astahost.com 25it didn't work... i would write the message.. but is in spanish.. (Comando no valido, escriba ?/ para obtener ayuda)

You simply go to a DOS prompt and type "telnet <host> port".
You needn't see the words Microsoft Telnet.

I'll give you a full demonstration of me sending a message to myself:

C:\Documents and Settings\user>telnet gsmtp171.google.com 25220 mx.gmail.com ESMTP 59si1198747rnbHELO gmail.com250 mx.gmail.com at your serviceMAIL FROM:<cryptwizard@gmail.com>250 2.1.0 OKRCPT TO:<cryptwizard@gmail.com>250 2.1.5 OKDATA354 Go aheadTo: Myself <cryptwizard@gmail.com>From: Myself <cryptwizard@gmail.com>Subject: Testing SMTP from TelnetHello World!.250 2.0.0 OK 1104091397QUIT221 2.0.0 mx.gmail.com closing connection

Line 1: The command you type in the DOS prompt (You get to the DOS prompt by typing "cmd" in a run box).
Line 2: -
Line 3: Welcome message from the SMTP server. The numeric response 220 means ready.
Line 4: Introuducing my server (You would not type gmail.com here, you would type your own host, that was just an example).
Line 5: The numeric response 250 means the command was OK.
Line 6 foward: Sending the message.

ok, i can get an aswer for kaiseren.superihost.com for ex: (that's one my hosts)..but when i try rapco.astahost.com it says it can connect.. taht mean asatahost doesn't have SMTP ???????????????oh, how can i configure my smtp in my cms using the kaiseren.superihost.com ??????

ok, i can get an aswer for kaiseren.superihost.com for ex: (that's one my hosts)..

but when i try

rapco.astahost.com it says it can connect.. taht mean asatahost doesn't have SMTP ???????????????

oh, how can i configure my smtp in my cms using the kaiseren.superihost.com ??????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First, you seem to have an user account / email address rapco-AT-kaiseren-dot-superihost-dot-com. Query the mx record for kaiseren.superihost.com returns:

Host                    Preference  IP(s) [Country]mail.superihost.com.    10          70.84.255.163 [US]70.84.255.162 [US]
This is like having a yahoo account that you can download the messages using pop3, read with webmail or use an IMAP host to read the messages. But you don't run the mailserver (I may be wrong on that one I didn't do a dig)

Your MX record would look something like this if you host your own mail server:

mail.kaiseren.superihost.com. 15 70.84.255.163 [uS]70.84.255.162 [uS]

Now looking at your MX record for Xisto.com I can't se any. Did you create a MX record yet?

When did your DNS record get created? I don't see it propagate to any nameservers yet!

Same for the MX record.

Getting MX record for rapco.astahost.com...   Received an NXDOMAIN response.This means that the rapco.astahost.com domain does not exist!  No mail can be sent to it.

To verify that Xisto creates (or user creates) records I looked up a username that had asked for hosting a while back and I tested his DNS and MX records. They came back positive.

Here is what astahosts nameservers replied when I queried them directly:

C:\dig>dig rapco.astahost.com @ns1.astahost.com; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> rapco.astahost.com @ns1.astahost.com;; global options:  printcmd;; Got answer:;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2;; QUESTION SECTION:;rapco.astahost.com.            IN      A;; ANSWER SECTION:rapco.astahost.com.     14400   IN      A       69.50.168.69;; AUTHORITY SECTION:rapco.astahost.com.     14400   IN      NS      ns2.astahost.com.rapco.astahost.com.     14400   IN      NS      ns1.astahost.com.;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:ns1.astahost.com.       14400   IN      A       64.5.44.113ns2.astahost.com.       14400   IN      A       209.152.167.59;; Query time: 78 msec;; SERVER: 64.5.44.113#53(ns1.astahost.com);; WHEN: Sun Dec 26 17:48:12 2004;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 120

Your a record exists, you just have to be patient and wait for it to propagate across the name servers.

:)

Nils

ok, i configured an account in outlook using the option at my cpanel (in Xisto)

and it worked pop3 and smtp is

mail.rapco.astahost.com

but.. (question)

when i entered the cpanel option for MX (i didn't know waht MX meant.. now i know that's Mail Exchanger)

it says this:

Current MX Entries rapco.astahost.com
Domain Mail Exchanger (MX)  rapco.astahost.com

[ Change a MX Entry  ] | [ Go Back ]

shouldn't it say : mail.rapco.astahost.com ??????