xisto Community
mhykhh

Learning How To Network?

Hey guys,I really have no idea about networking. Can someone please give a quick intro or maybe a link to some tutorial that could get me started. I really wanna learn how to network computers. I also need it for my studies. Thanks in advanced guys and Merry Christmas to you all :)

Here's simply what you do to network 2 computers:1. Buy network cards (no-name cards are about AU$15 here) and install (find PCI connector [they're white] and slot network card in)2. Configure network cards (Let Windows detect them, then set up TCP/IP settings [Control Panel -> Network] First computer IP: 192.168.0.1, second computer IP: 192.168.0.2)3. Buy CAT5 crossover cable (i found a cable cheap - AU$6 for 7 metre)4. Plug in cableIf you have more than 2 computers to network then keep numbering IP's in that order (192.168.0.3, 192.168.0.4, etc), and you have to buy the following:* a hub or switch* standard network cable instead of crossover cablethat might make NO sense to you, but i'm not a networking expert... I'm doing the cisco networking course next year :) so then i learn about configuring routers and stuff.... anyway, someone here might know more about networking than I do :)

I really have no idea about networking. Can someone please give a quick intro or maybe a link to some tutorial that could get me started. I really wanna learn how to network computers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You have to decide if you are going with a hardwired or wireless network (or a combination of the two). Hardwired are inherently more secure but a wireless is easier to setup in a house, apartment or a dorm room.

Added issues when networking computers are security, if you are on the internet with one computer and you are hacked you only loose one computer. When you are hacked in a network environment you may loose them all.

To build a home network with mixed wired and unwired equipment start with a good firewall. Hardware firewall or at a minimum a good software firewall. The HW firewall goes between your modem, dsl, or cable modem (modem). The software firewall goes on all your networked computers (I use ZoneAlarm on top of a Cisco PIX-515). The instructions to follow are for dsl/cable modem but can be modified for a 56k dialup account and does not involve settin up a firewall (that is a whole new chapter). The main computer already have a NIC card installed in working condition.

Next step is to get a router, HUB or Catalyst to attach all your equipment to the ânewâ network. Iâll use this router as an example (itâs a link to the manufactures website, I hope that is OK): D-Link AirPlus DI-714P+ Wireless Router

This is a good router to use because it combines wired ports with the wireless and it has a print server so you can network the printer without using one of your computers as the print server.

Now you have to get NIC cards for your hard-wired computers, wireless desktop/laptop adapters for the rest.

Itâs easy to setup the router, you start by turning off the modem and attaching the CAT-5 cable from the back of your computer to the LAN port on the router. Turn the router on, then turn your modem back on. Attach a CAT-5 patch cable between your computer NIC (rj45) port and port âOneâ (1) on the wireless router. Port one are most often used to program/setup equipment that donât have a console port.

Everything together again, start up the browser so you can program the router to recognize the network. (The instructions vary from manufacturer to manufactures so read the manual)

There are steps to encrypt the wireless part of the network, setup a WEP key for security. And change the default password for the router.

From the specs at manufactures website.

⢠64-, 128-, 152-bit WEP

⢠WPA â Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA-TKIP/PSK/AES)

⢠802.1x (EAP-MD5/TLS/TTLS/PEAP)

⢠MAC Address Access Control List

Attach any computer with a NIC card to the router install the wireless adapters in Laptops and computer in different locations of the building. (again read the manual before you install)

Hope this helps

Nils

Those posts makes perfect sense to me. Thanks a lot for posting guys. I'm trying to connect 3 computers at home (wired connection). I'll start tomorrow and I'll let you know if anything goes wrong and if everything went well. Thanks again guys.

Those posts makes perfect sense to me. Thanks a lot for posting guys. I'm trying to connect 3 computers at home (wired connection). I'll start tomorrow and I'll let you know if anything goes wrong and if everything went well. Thanks again guys.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good luck,

for 3 computers you need a minimum of a hub or a switch to connect them together.

Nils