xisto Community
jwcgator

Possibility Of A Google Os ?

Would you buy a Google OS?  

1 member has voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The people at google are smart! They could easily make an OS!They would make it so that viruses could not infect it or the files!!!But It would be compatible with todays software and games!!!Yay Or Nay?

They would have to be a lot more than smart. Lots and lots of smart people have worked on the three big modern OS's, windows and *nix and MacOS X(half unix half mach). Being compatible with all of today's software would be difficult to say the least.

Really, a google OS isn't what is needed. What is needed is a free OS that is as easy to use and work with as microsoft's Windows(for the normal tasks that a normal noob will do on a computer), but without the downsides and pitfalls of both windows and linux in its current form. Linux could get there, and I look forward to trying out ubuntu linux/gnoppix to see if they have moved things that direction.

I agree with MajesticFrog on that. What is needed is an Open Source OS that has the look and feel of Windows (but without falling into copyright traps), that way, most people would not be bothered with making the switchover. Linux seems to have promise and I expect that in the next 15 years, it should catch up enough with non-nerds to make it a reasonable competitor for MS Windows.

quote] What is needed is a free OS that is as easy to use and work with as microsoft's Windowsi think its called CherryOSor maybe not.. i cant find a good link.anyways, there IS an open source clone of MS windows, which is compatable with windows applications, no emulation !however last time i looked, it was a long way from being finished.

quote] What is needed is a free OS that is as easy to use and work with as microsoft's Windows

i think its called CherryOS

or maybe not.. i cant find a good link.

anyways, there IS an open source clone of MS windows, which is compatable with windows applications, no emulation !

however last time i looked, it was a long way from being finished.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cherry OS is actually an emulator which lets you run a Mac OS on your PC. It's out now and you can download it for about $50. You can proabably find more info here.

I also agree that with Majestic and Dizasta on a Google OS not being what is needed right now but if it does come out and is good then I would try it to see what it's like.

I don't think I'll ever buy any operating system. I could pay for packaging, manual and support and upgrading service but not for the actual system. Even if it was an operating system with superb searching features :).

well i´m quite sure that i won´t be easy to make an os that could hold it against the established ones, and it´s definitely not possible to make it 100% protected.

but i agree that the google people are kinda smart so they might start a project that would maybe better than the existing ones, but that would take a long time and i don´t think that today many people would take the risk which is included in trying to fight microsoft.

but whenever there would be a new os, i´m open-minded enough so if it is good i would try it out.

Google is very successful and well known and I think they could do it, but I really don't think they will be making an OS anytime soon. Some possible problems:

• It would probably be PC compatible.

• All OS's (except Windows) are supposed to be safe from viruses, but people still find ways.

• Are you saying it would run software for any other OS? Not very easy to do...

• What would be the motivation to switch to it? Linux people might not change (if it cost anything) because they like free stuff. Mac users just like Mac OS. And windows people just follow the crowd. (sorry for the over-generalizations, just trying to make a point.)

Just some things to think about. I could happen.

Google produce an operating system.... Nope.however... a Google Linux distro would be interesting !

Google is a great search engine with good indexing (not always) There are times that a search for a specific company or their product yields anything but that.

Google are where yahoo was before all the advertizing and added junk was put on their site. Advertizing makes the money so I can understand where they come from.

Because Google have a great search engine don't mean they will have the same with an OS. The cost of developing an OS that are not open soure will be monumental. The cost of research and programming will be paid by Google or in the end by users of Google products. So to pay for it Google will add more advertizing to the site and everything will slow down.

You can be good a some things all the time, all thing some time, but not all things all the time.

Google have a good search engine, a good add-on menubar (if you like those), I don't have gMail so I can't comment on that.

They have "Google Services and Google tools" and the great thing is they are an option. If you don't click on the more button you'll never see them. A lot of companies could learn from that, don't force feed visitors what you offer. Let people look around and chose what they like.

No - I don't think Google OS is a great idea :)

Nils

Why a Google OS wouldn't work...

Sure, your files would all be indexed and cross-referenced, but do you really want to have a bunch of pigeons hooked up to a Beowulf cluster just so you could find your home directory? (search "PigeonRank" on google)

And what happens when your country decides to censor Google?(this happened, once, somewhere) How are you going to access your OS?

And talk about being redirected to far-away call centers--what if your support was on the moon?(Google announced their new moon-base a few months ago) Talk about delays.

So don't bug Google-just use 'find -name'. Really, do you want to just feel "Lucky" about a mission-critical file?

I dont think this post is about an OS that network boots or stores its file on the google servers, just an OS developed by google which installs to your local hard disk like most other OS's.I think its too late for any *NEW* operating systems to be developed.not too long ago, someone offered linus a sum of money (a few hundred thousand) for a copy of the linux kernel to be released under the BSD licence (meaning it could be forked as closed source)after this was made public, the actual cost of the linux kernel was calculated, if linux had been developed (just the kernel) as a closed source project, it would have cost billions to develop.If any new OS's were developed, for them to even compete with modern Unix / Linux / MacOSX. they would need to heabvily use open sourced software like a Linux / BSD kernel, and GNU utilities like the C compiler, Graphical user interfaces like KDE.a new OS completely written from scratch would be very very very expensive, and possably never catch up to developing OS's.Unless Hardware significantly changes (Quantum computers ?) i dont think we will ever see any new OS's that dont very closely resemble *nix.

I would say if they made one, I'd give it a shot. But I wouldn't buy it, because they'd probably give it out for free, and maybe open source. Although I don't think it's needed at all. If you play games, then use Windows, if you don't use Linux, they make it easier all the time.