xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Homer

Linux/windows Network. Help Me Please

Ok, I Have 3 computer In My House. I Had Them All Setup and Working Fine... But Now I Want to switch one of them to linux, but still share a connection.Ok This Is How My Network Works....1st Computer: Connection Computer:2nd Computer: XP Box:3rd Computer: Linux:I Have The Network Up and running Fine, But I Have Tried To Put Linux On My Network Before.. And it couldn't connect to the net, share files, or anything..Is There Something That i Have TO Config? Or What?If you Know How TO Help Me... Please Do!

Please tell me your distribution of GNU/Linux so I can give you more specific instructions.
Make sure the installed kernel supports your network card, firstly.
If it was from a major distribution like FC/RedHat/Debian/etc. it should support it.
If it doesn't the best way would be to compile your own kernel, but i won't go into that here.

If you use DHCP:
Enter the command prompt and type:

dhcpcd
or if that doesn't work
dhcpd

If you don't:
ifconfig netmask eth0 <ip address>
Remember to replace <ip address>!

Post the result of those commands here, so I can tell you how it went.

Hope that helps.

what is "connection computer" ?

is it a switch ? a router ? or a normal PC ?

if its a notmal PC, what OS is it running ?

is there a Local DHCP server on your LAN ?

if so, then rollow the instructions already given.

however if there is no dchp server on your network you will need to enter the netowork details manually.

in the network init script, or rc.local script (depending on your distro) you will need somthing like

echo "nameserver 192.168.1.1" > /etc/resolv.conf

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.2 up

route add default gw 191.168.1.1

[//code]

repace the address's with the ip's of the services in your network.

if your gateway does not support a DNS server, then use your ISP's DNS servers.

My friend i sopouse that u hav internet on linux PC so it has the net card UP.go to the config panel of ur linux distro look for rpm installer o somthing like install/uninstall app.and then install the samba or SMB package to make ur linux visible on windows Network and viceversa.I Hope this waas helpfull 4 u.

As has been mentioned before install the samba program. It can be obtained from http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ you are using an RPM based distro, or using debian then you should be able to find a binary installer for it rather than compiling from source.If you are having troubles just getting your boxes to ping each other then the best solution would be to statically assign IP addresses so that you can determine the problem more directly. In windows xp you can set a static IP address by entering my network places, then network connections, right clicking on the device that is connected locally to the lan and clicking properties. From there select Internet protocol (TCP/IP) and click properties.I would suggest somewhere in the range of 192.168.0.* (Replace * with a unique number), Leave your subnet mask as 255.255.255.0To correctly configure this in Linux, Type ifconfig. This will bring up a list of network interfaces. If there is only one in the computer then you will need to type ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.* Then when this is completed, From the linux box, Try pinging the windows box by typing at the terminal shell "ping 192.168.0.(Enter number you chose for XP box)" If that works correctly then you have correctly configured your boxes and can start narrowing stuff down. Note: If you are trying to get the Linux Box to see the internet, Most of the time the router's (Computer/Hardware device sharing the internet) ip address will be 192.168.0.1 If you want to get the linux box correctly configured you will need to use the linux "ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.* gateway 192.168.0.1" however this could vary from distro to distro so you would be best off to type "man ifconfig" and check whether this is the correct syntax.Hope this helps