xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
brouzine

Telephone Wire

I have PLENTY of 4-wire, or 5, maybe 6 underground tele cable (24 gauge) that I want to use to run some patch cables. I can't remember how many wires are in the cable I was just wondering if I could put some rj45 ends on and it would work? The cable is the E 39169.Here is what I could find on it:»ftp.tiaonline.org/tr-30/tr303/Public/0..Thanks

Most of the old phone cables are CAT-3 with 2, 4, 6, 8 or more pairs of wire. Regular phone use 1 pair for each line. So to a 2 pair (four wire) cable you can attach 2 phones. CAT-3 are not the perfect wire for pach cables the winding are not tight enough so you get a lot of crosstalk between the pairs. This may look like you have a broken wire or a loose connection somewhere.Most networks use 4 pair (eight wire) cables of CAT-5 or higher quality. Unless you are using a switch that send power to devices across the network only 2 of the pairs are used. (all 8 wires are put into the plug but not used)Nils

I have used telephone wire before and had no problem. The important thing to remember is that the wires are twisted pairs to prevent interference so try to stick to the matched colors. That is blue with blue and white, orange with orange and white etc.The pairs are 1, 2, 3 & 6 on the RJ45 connectors.Hope this help,Rudy