xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
chickenside

Help Needed: Well... Everything Newbie needs help

Ok my experience is with WYSIWIG editors, (which SUCK, but that's the most free hosting around) and finally got hosted by Xisto (YAY) so i was wondering whether someone would walk me through the basics of Xisto hosting:- page creation- images- FTPs- servers (?)- subdomain creationThank you in advance.

Hey Mate,I'll try to answer a couple of these.Page Creation - If you have been using a WYSIWYG editor, you should be able to create a webpage(s). Before you jump in and start creating, give some thought to how you will orgnise your files. At Xisto, you will need to store all your web accessible files in the html folder on your account. inside the html folder, I usually create another folder called images. This is where I store my images. I would recommend that on your personal computer you create a folder for your website. Then organise that folder and any subfolders just like you like to organise them on your Xisto account. For example:Xisto - your accounthtml (folder) index.html (your first page) other_pages.html (add all your other web pages) images (folder) image1.jpg (just add in all the images you used here) and any other folders you wish to createPlace all your pictures and images in the appropriate folder (as above) on your computer. When you then create your first web page (titled index.html) use your web editor to paste in the picts you want from your new images folder.Once you are happy with an initial page and have set up a system of directories on your personal computer ... you can then ftp them to your Xisto account. Normally the web editors have an upload feature. Have a look on yours. It should be pretty simple to set-up to ftp access your account (your domain name, your username, your password).I am sure there are some basic web page creation tutorials on the net. There's eve a thread on these forums about "how did you learn html" which would be worth you reading through. I know I didn't answer all of your questions ... give me a pm, email or post if you would like more detailed assistance.best wishes mate,hashbang

Well thanks but the real question was how do I use something like this:

Posted Image

EDIT- Hmmmm image doesn't work, just please go here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

And make a website?

I know HTML, but can't work this thing!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK to make that image appear in the web forums ...

first, never use bitmaps (.bmp) file. They are too big to use on the net. Save that image as a jpeg (.jpg) or .png instead.

There is a little button just above this messge box that says "img"

click that ... type in the url and viola ...

your pict appears in the message board. provided it is in a valid format .. which .bmp is not.

As for how to create a html page ... I would recommend looking up a good web based tutorial site .. check that forum thread I mentioned before. Several member here posted the site they learned to make eweb pages from..

good luck

hashbang

Posted Image