xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
remonit1405241472

P2p Actuality

It's unethical, but it's the industry's own fault. They're charging way to much for stuff that's produced for a small fraction of the price you pay. AND, if it weren't for illegal downloads, noone would consider using highspeed internet, hell, if you just browse and mail, why would you use highspeed.

It's unethical, but it's the industry's own fault. They're charging way to much for stuff that's produced for a small fraction of the price you pay. AND, if it weren't for illegal downloads, noone would consider using highspeed internet, hell, if you just browse and mail, why would you use highspeed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with you on your first point -- honestly, $15-20 for maybe ten or so songs? That's outrageous.

Anyway, I must disagree with you on your latter point. I use highspeed Internet for viewing websites and checking mail. Hell, who wants to wait five minutes for a page to load when they could wait maybe 30 seconds? Productivity=Up

I'm not sure if this is relevant to the subject at hand... :) [Disclaimer] :PI have never downloaded a song from the internet, I use VPN point to point (Cisco PIX) and some users access with Cisco software vpn clients.If you need high speed access to the inter/intra net there is nothing that beats a t1 or cable / dsl modem.I hate resource intensive sites that that take forever to load (even with t1), a lot of the "music industry" sites that you see are so ad-laden and full off pop-ups and tracking cookies that they are a hazard to users. :).I know when a user on this network visited a music site, the firewall log is clogged up with keep alive and port scans for 8 - 24 hours after user disconnected.High speed internet connections are here to stay, I don't think I could handle a dial up anymore... :P[/Disclaimer]Nils

Since P2P sharing became popular it has been proven that media sales have risen. In particular, CD sales. Music sharing seems to be the biggest problem, it's what the RIAA mainly target. Going from these facts... I think the RIAA are only doing more harm to the music industry by tryng to forever eliminate illegal file sharing. How ironic will it be if they finally shut down all illegal file sharing on the internet, and then see CD sales decrease again!? They will never be able to stop all illegal file sharing though, whenever they eliminate one P2P network, another one pops up on the scene. It happened when Napster was shut down... and it'll happen again if BitTorrent gets shut down. In fact, a new program is already in the process of creation that runs in the same way as BitTorrent... it is being created by the owner of suprnova.org along with other unknown companies. The program will be called eXeem. I expect eXeem won't be the only program to pop up in the near future if BitTorrent is shut down.

The shutting down of Bittorrent ?this should NEVER HAPPEN !Bit torrent as far as i know isnt even used as a means of stealing.Bit torrent is a GREAT idea, it greatly improves a servers ability to distribute legal material.for example, when Fedora core 3 for Amd64 came out (3Gigabyte download) the servers, and many local mirrors slowed down to a painfull pace, so i launced bit torrent, and successfully downloaded fedora core at my internet connections maximum rate (90kbps)by all means enforce the law... but dont cut off the arms of innocent people to remove the possability of them becoming criminals.As for the argument about P2P increacing Music sales, i can belive that.The type of music im into is not played on any of the tv vhannels i have, nor the radio.I downloaded approxamtly 15 random placebo songs, simply because peopl who liked similar music to me, also liked placebo. After *Stealing* the songs, and realising i love the band, i went out and paid for all 3 albums.Same with Nirvana.People, dont steal music....Law enforcers, dont inconvinience 1000 law abiding people purely make 3 crimes slightly harder to commit.

Chill qwil, nobody is gonna shut bittorrent down. They can't. What they can do is shut down all the servers hosting copyright infringing tracker servers. As for your argument about music sales, this is true, but this isn't the real reason the RIAA is so terrified. The studios exist as distribution. They were once necessary because of the huge expense of creating, pressing, and distributing music. Now, a 1000 dollar computer can handle what once cost half a million to do. And pressing CDs is less necessary with household cd burners being plentiful. So, the last reason they exist is distribution. THAT is why they are so scared of p2p. If it succeeds, the artists won't need the labels anymore, and they will die.

Lol....i think im just an idealist.the thing is... The movie industry started crying when household VDR's and METAMAX's became popular..the movie industry b1tched that it was being destroyed be people tapeing films off the tv !and even lending them to there frend next door !what did they do about it... they increced the price of blank tapes, and a % of the money you spent on them went tothe movie industry... So they are charging you for copying films... but still tell you not to do it.either dont let me copy.. or stop making me pay damnit !im not sure if its still happening, but at one time i think that they did this for blank cd's too.Anyways.. if the music industry DID die... that would be great.no more MTV, no more insulting sellouts.everyone would go and see bands perform live more often, and the musicians that actually work, playing live would get rich, rather than the guy in the suit.

Lol....

i think im just an idealist.

the thing is... The movie industry started crying when household VDR's and METAMAX's became popular..

the movie industry b1tched that it was being destroyed be people tapeing films off the tv !

and even lending them to there frend next door !

what did they do about it... they increced the price of blank tapes, and a % of the money you spent on them went tothe movie industry... So they are charging you for copying films... but still tell you not to do it.

either dont let me copy.. or stop making me pay damnit !

im not sure if its still happening, but at one time i think that they did this for blank cd's too.

Anyways.. if the music industry DID die... that would be great.

no more MTV, no more insulting sellouts.

everyone would go and see bands perform live more often, and the musicians that actually work, playing live would get rich, rather than the guy in the suit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Right with you, qwijibow. I applaud you. I can't say much about the movie industry anymore. I'm not with the American one but the Asian one is pretty bad off already. The black market behind it all is actually much more successful and a lot of the DVD's I watch from Korea are redistrubuted from Taiwan, China, or Hong Kong. Even some of the Japanese CD's (which are outrageous... you think $15-20 was expensive?! Japanese ones are $30 and up. @__@;:) that I own are redistrubuted as well. The inflation is freakin' crazy (*cough* economy). I'm not paying an extra $20 on a CD that I can get for $10 and it has the exact same thing as te original. But then, that depends on my mood. Sometimes, the original will always be the best.

I live in England, things are even more expensive here.. when people come back from America, there always telling their friends how cheap everhting is over there. Shoes, DVD's etc.in England got can expect to pay as much as £15 (about 25$ i think) for an album with 12 - 14 songs on it.Plus to make it worse, they add copy protection !!!!!!i have an MP3 player, when im out, i can either carry a bulks cd player which eats batteries. or a tiny mp3 player.i have a Legal need to rip CD's and encode them as Mp3's.but they are trying to stop me, take away my rights to stop the few kids that do download music.Plus, their statistics about how much music is stolen are probably waaaaayyy off the chart.10 years ago a bought a Nirvana CD.. now the cd is too scratched to work, so i ofnten download the contents of the cd... is this legal ? i downt know, it SHOULD be.also, with the speed of the internet, i usually just downlod music rather than ripping it of my legally bought CD's its easyer, i must have downloaded and deleted some songs many times.all this legal in my case (or atrleast ethical) but im sure they (whoeve isgathering the statistics) just assumed i was a criminal.

I live in England, things are even more expensive here.. when people come back from America, there always telling their friends how cheap everhting is over there. Shoes, DVD's etc.

in England got can expect to pay as much as ÂŁ15 (about 25$ i think) for an album with 12 - 14 songs on it.

Plus to make it worse, they add copy protection !!!!!!

i have an MP3 player, when im out, i can either carry a bulks cd player which eats batteries. or a tiny mp3 player.

i have a Legal need to rip CD's  and encode them as Mp3's.

but they are trying to stop me, take away my rights to stop the few kids that do download music.

Plus, their statistics about how much music is stolen are probably waaaaayyy off the chart.

10 years ago a bought a Nirvana CD.. now the cd is too scratched to work, so i ofnten download the contents of the cd... is this legal ? i downt know, it SHOULD be.

also, with the speed of the internet,  i usually just downlod music rather than ripping it of my legally bought CD's its easyer, i must have downloaded and deleted some songs many times.

all this legal in my case (or atrleast ethical) but im sure they (whoeve isgathering the statistics) just assumed i was a criminal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's insane... $25 American dollars just for a cd? That would be somewhere around $45-$50 Australian, and that is just ridiculous! Depending on how new the album is, you can usually expect to pay $30 for an album here... so somewhere around $15 American.

I'm pretty sure the law states you can not pirate copywrited material, whether you own the original copy or not. It's a joke I know... and a lot of people protest this law, but it doesn't look like it will be reversed any time soon. Well this is how it is here anyway... and I'm pretty sure American laws are a LOT tougher than they are here, and usually the UK seems to be pretty similar to the rest of us.

Here is the REAL joke...Law Number 1) You cannot Copy CD'sLaw Number 2) You cannot rmeove copy rpotection.If you are going to ignore Law1, whats the pint in Law2 ?if i have coppied a CD, i am guilty of 2 different crimes... Copying the CD, and copying the cd.one crime the actual copying, the other crime for using a cd copyer to copy the cd...Law1: It is illegal to shoot people...Law2: it is illegal to have 1of your bullets is in somone else's bodyLaw3: its illegal to point a gun at someone from point blank range and pull the trigger.Law4: its Illegal to have commited a crimeLaw5: its Illegal to have commited a crimeLaw6: its Illegal to have commited a crimeLaw7: its Illegal to have commited a crimecummon !

Here is the REAL joke...

Law Number 1) You cannot Copy CD's

Law Number 2) You cannot rmeove copy rpotection.

If you are going to ignore Law1, whats the pint in Law2 ?

if i have coppied a CD, i am guilty of 2 different crimes... Copying the CD, and copying the cd.

one crime the actual copying, the other crime for using a cd copyer to copy the cd...

Law1: It is illegal to shoot people...

Law2: it is illegal to have 1of your bullets is in somone else's body

Law3: its illegal to point a gun at someone from point blank range and pull the trigger.

Law4: its Illegal to have commited a crime

Law5: its Illegal to have commited a crime

Law6: its Illegal to have commited a crime

Law7: its Illegal to have commited a crime

cummon !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That too is also a joke... but the point I was actually trying to make, is the law states you cannot make a copy of something you bought legelly for personal use. One of the best examples is copying personal DVD's as a back up of your personal collection. It is VERY common for a DVD to get scratched and become useless, so people like to make a back up copy for themsleves, just in case it get's scratched and ruined, they still have a copy. The industry is just trying to force people to buy more of their stuff. There was already a law in place which stated you are not allowed to sell pirated material. This law was perfect, it makes complete sense... if you didn't make the product or have the rights to it, you should not be allowed to make a profit off of it. I guess they just got fed up because that law was too hard to control... it's too easy to evade... so they made tougher laws with harsher penalties to try and make people stop doing it.

That too is also a joke... but the point I was actually trying to make, is the law states you cannot make a copy of something you bought legelly for personal use. One of the best examples is copying personal DVD's as a back up of your personal collection. It is VERY common for a DVD to get scratched and become useless, so people like to make a back up copy for themsleves, just in case it get's scratched and ruined, they still have a copy. The industry is just trying to force people to buy more of their stuff. There was already a law in place which stated you are not allowed to sell pirated material. This law was perfect, it makes complete sense... if you didn't make the product or have the rights to it, you should not be allowed to make a profit off of it. I guess they just got fed up because that law was too hard to control... it's too easy to evade... so they made tougher laws with harsher penalties to try and make people stop doing it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i know !

fortunatly, i dont think that law is enforced.

of big brother finds your coppied dvd collection, and you show them u own the origonal version im sure you wouldnt get prosicuted... possably ordered todestroy them,... ( i think )