xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Darren1405241470

New Reputation Thing What do you all think?

I really like this new reputation thing. Once people have started to build up their reps a bit then it will be alot easier for newbies to recognise who says helpful things and who just says pointless things that nobody should take any notice of. What does everybody else think? Good/Bad/ok?

It will only be helpfull if we use it.  Are there guidelines for when we should give someone a reputationu point?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't think anyone has posted any. Perhaps one of the admins or Moderators should. Good point though, if no-one uses it it's completely pointless.

Probably when someone makes a real usefull post, there is such thing too on tweakers.net, where people who make lame posts get *BLEEP* reputations. And people who make usefull posts get a reputation point.

hey guys, I installed this mod pretty much due to the reasons its a succesfull modifcation used at Xisto (our other site), their are not guidlines as such except:*DONT MAKE EXTREMELY STUPID OR BIZZARE REPUTATION CHANGES*DONT PLAGUE A MEMBERS REPUTATION WHETHER YOU LIKE THEM OR NOT (1 reputation change a day to one member for the worse should be a common ethic)Other then that things are pretty laid back with this modification :DAs jipman said you should praise members for excellent posts which are helpful by increasing their reputation. (Such as I am now...maybe :P)And decrease a members reputation when they make stupid or offensive posts which are not needed.Hope that helps you out guys ^_^

Once people have started to build up their reps a bit then it will be alot easier for newbies to recognise who says helpful things and who just says pointless things that nobody should take any notice of. What does everybody else think? Good/Bad/ok?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Darren,

I completely agree. I would hope that we each give some thought each time we log in here to rating those whose posts we enjoy and those whose posts stink. I have passed around a few rating already (3 positive, 1 negative) and I will endeavor to rate each time I'm here.

nice post! - here's a tick for you ;-)

cheers

hashbang

I think the reputation thing could come in handy to newbies, IF it is used by the members (and it doesn't seem like it has been used a lot so far) And if the people are accurate. It doesn't take too much for someone to ruin someone's reputation. I think for now it's pretty good!(you can increase my rep now! ^_^ jk )

I think that this is a fun mod, and I also think that it could be very helpful to Newby's.I think that it has been said before, but use it wisely. If we don't it can just become a giant popularity contest.... ( Much like Homecomming court in high school / College)......Just my $0.02

How about the mods/admins post some guidelines for how and what we should vote people up/down for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Why don't we post some mod guidelines ... besides ... doesn't the community have a strong voice in the governance of these forums?? Perhaps post some guides and ask for feedback from members and admin.

cheers

hashbang

I know this mod comes intergrated into vBulltin and it's a very clever way to increase user participation, and for this reason it's definately a good thing. I am still trying to find one for my Invision Power Board version 1.3.1 and I'm sure the one here will help increase user participation. :)

My $0.02 for what it's worth :)

When you use it in a positive or a negative way. Put the reason behind your action maybe the link to the post you are grading. That way 5 different users are not going to trash a single post. 1 tick for a very bad or good post should be the norm. Maybe there is a way of monitoring when a reputation point was given for a post, then close the reputation link for 24 hrs for that username / post. If you have another very good or bad post... then the process starts over.

Just as an example:

Hashbang creates a real good post, I read it decide it was a good piece of work and I give him +1 point and posted some positive or constructive comments. Then this post should be closed to points for 24 hrs. My reason behind that is to prevent the opposite to happen, I'll use hashbang again :) for this example. He seems to be a good person with good posts and a knowledge of computers.

Here is the senario: :)

Monday morning, hashbang in a bad mode, snow or rain on the way to work. He was cut of by an idiot in a red SUV... <g>

He logs onto the site, reads a post, replies a little out of line. He meant to say one thing, maybe a little sarcastic. <hypothetically> speaking off course since I don’t know hashbang.

I read the post later, think hashbang was out of line, and deduct a point. MajesticTreeFrog chirps in and deduct another point so on and so on. In the blink of an eye hashbangs <hypotetical> reputation is gone…. This because nobody put a reason for the deduct or the post it was made against and we all overreacted.

As for rules, when you have to many rules there have to be more moderators enforcing them. I think the moderators have enough keeping an eye out for posts and working the board. If we use the reward system in an adult way then it will be a positive thing. If used for revenge or to bash someone you don’t agree with then it’s a bad thing.

A lot of words for the money :)

Nils

{updated} I just saw the link in reputation, up in the right hand corner of the post where a reputation point was credited.... duh... Nils wake up {/updated} :)

wow I like that man. It would take some work though I don't know if the perutation points run that way. I have never seen the admin opptions for them so I have no clue. But it is a good plan specially since the example you used is exactly what we all know would happen to someone. I think it would take some clever programing to get that to work.Oh and just for such a good post. I am giveing you +1 rep points! :)