xisto Community
brouzine

How To Put Sortable Data Into A Web Page.

Hi. I have a list of songs, artists and genres (mp3 data) in an Excel spreadsheet. I want to put the data into a web page so it can be searched and sorted. For example, a user could sort the data by artist, or search for a particular song title. I'm new at this and have spent a lot of time trying to find the best way to do it, but I'm hoping somebody can steer me toward some help.Ideally, I would be able to update the original spreadsheet, upload it, and have the web page update automatically. A plus would be a way I could have the song titles link to audio demos on my site.I use Frontpage, and I know RWH doesn't support ASP (which seems to be the only format I've found that does this). However, I think this can be done with Java and other programming.If you've solved this problem, please point me toward the info I need.Thanks!

Hi.

I have a list of songs, artists and genres (mp3 data) in an Excel spreadsheet. I want to put the data into a web page so it can be searched and sorted. For example, a user could sort the data by artist, or search for a particular song title. I'm new at this and have spent a lot of time trying to find the best way to do it, but I'm hoping somebody can steer me toward some help.

Ideally, I would be able to update the original spreadsheet, upload it, and have the web page update automatically. A plus would be a way I could have the song titles link to audio demos on my site.

I use Frontpage, and I know RWH doesn't support ASP (which seems to be the only format I've found that does this). However, I think this can be done with Java and other programming.

If you've solved this problem, please point me toward the info I need.

Thanks!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do what your asking, however I would just like to advise you not to use MS frontpage ever again. It is a terrible web editor and it makes illegal pages. I suggest Macromedia Dreamweaver which is easily the best editor around with both WYSIWYG and coding capabilities. It does however cost quite alot so if you don't want to spend the money you can get a very nice Open Source editor from here. It is called 1st page 2000 and is much better than MS frontpage. You can also get much better support from others who use this program.

Go to ezscripting.co.ukThey have a nice database suite that will do what you need and and a whole lot more. It is free, with inexpensive up-grades. It works javascript and excell can be imported. From wed based forms you can write to the database and also retrieve data. If you are new, these scripts are well documented with BBB/FAQ/and email support. The stand alone free version should help you. ^_^I have just found this suite and am excited about finally being able to create data bases, write to them, and exract data all from a web-based forms I create easily. I can't believe it is free.

Do you have any experience with SQL (Structured Query Language) ? Excel responds to SQL Commands - and if your host provides ASP hosting, you can easily use your excel file with your web-page without porting the data to any other database engine.

When you use ASP to connect to excel files, you'll need to provide certain connection string settings to be able to connect properly. You can find the connection strings for all the different database engines at: ConnectionStrings.Com

Unfortunately I have no idea how to do what your asking, however I would just like to advise you not to use MS frontpage ever again. It is a terrible web editor and it makes illegal pages. I suggest Macromedia Dreamweaver which is easily the best editor around with both WYSIWYG and coding capabilities. It does however cost quite alot so if you don't want to spend the money you can get a very nice Open Source editor from here. It is called 1st page 2000 and is much better  than MS frontpage. You can also get much better support from others who use this program.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey , I want to get more information about Frontpage makes illegal pages???

I sometimes use Frontpage for my webpage , I afriad that if it makes some illegal things .

And for the question of brouzine

I also advise using php is the best solution . :P

hihihihi88: i do not think that Darren means illegal in the sense of Law however he probably means that they do not validate or something.PHP and MySQL is the best way to go brouzine :rolleyes: you can easily find the queries and information you need to do what you require.