xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
whannagan

The Best Operating System

What do you think is the best operating system ?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is there not a few of these operating system polls.Anyway you missed out Windows 98SE, Windows 2000, SuSE and about fifty other popular OS'sI prefer SuSE 9.1 pro and Win2000Suse is a good distro for people who have never really used linux before, and Win2000 is probably one of M$'s better OS's

Gentoo, Linux From Scratch, Slackware, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Sun's Solaris UNIXwhatever... aslong as its not windows, i can get along with it just fine.

there is no such thing as the best OS....sure MAC OSX offers more stability and security over WINDOWS XP but then again windows xp has the advantage of being compatible with almost every program a programmer writes....it's also build for the standard doofus who doesn't know the back from the front of his mouse....so starting a thread in search of the best OS is quite pointless as every OS has it's up's and downs....

can you remove the distribution names (fedora, knoppix, etc) and add other 'systems such as:LinuxHPUXNTBSDIFreeBSDIRIXAIX NEWBe OSTru64 Unix (formerly Digital Unix)SolarisMacOSOS/2UnixWareOpenServermy vote:linuxmy distribution:mandrake & debiancheershashbang

Eh, I'm a creature of habit, and I know Macs front and back, so I'll vote MacOSX. The simplicity of use, the additional base of programs (over 0S9) and the multithreaded capabilities put it lightyears ahead of any other Mac OS.I don't really care for Windows at all. Sure, Linux is nice, but again, I have OSX. Solaris is fun to dink around with, but I only used it for very specific purposes (though the SGI machines were pretty dang nice).

Well I'm sad to be in the position to chose between Linux and Windows...Specially Windows XP, I love it... Is a great layout, otherwise I think is the best 'cause you didn't add Gentoo Linux...Gentoo it is the best... I like it...Windows XP is for look good, Gentoo is an OS for a developer or Hoster... Fast, fast, fast...

There are many factors to consider.Windows is compatible with a lot of programs, whereas GNU/Linux has great customizability (<-- Excuse spelling).Mac OS X on the other hand has the advantages of both worlds in being having lots of good software and having a stable UNIX foundation.I would vote for Mac OS X.I don't have it, but really really want it...

there is no such thing as the best OS....sure MAC OSX offers more stability and security over WINDOWS XP but then again windows xp has the advantage of being compatible with almost every program a programmer writes

actually, your horrably wrong....
windows is 1) not campatable with anything 2) a nightmare to program !!!

first off, take a program sice as KDE. its a whole destop environment, grap the source code and compile it... compile it on FreeBSD, compile it on Linux, compile it on OpenBSD, solaris, whatever !... the same source code will compile on all these different operating systems,a nd work...

however with windows, nope, it will not compile. nor will windows source code compile on any other OS.

Plus,, has anyone ever tried compiling and using a DLL in windows... its a nightmare, in linux, its as simple as turning the "share" switch on when compiling, to make an .so (shared object)

SECONDLY....
and here's what annoys the CRUD out of me...

last time i tried to compile the following code in VC++, it failed with an error like "error variable array length"

int number = GetStrLen("hello world");char *StrArray = new char[number+1];

that code is perfectly legal c++.

The best OS in the world will eventually be linux. EVENTUALLY. Not now. At some point, enough work will have been done to allow the user interface of linux to catch up to windows or mac. When it does, its all over for microsoft, and possibly Apple(though apple seems much better than MS at branching out into different things, in particular software like final cut pro that just won't exist for a VERY long time on linux, at least as open source). It will be an interesting time, and i look forward to it.