xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
hashbang

The Name Game Whats the basis for the name Astahost?

There's usually a story behind every name. Sometimes the message or the story is obvious othertimes it isn't. What is the story behind the naming of this domain Xisto?

Mine? Hashbang is a shortened version of #!/bin/bash (hashbangslashbinslashbash). I choose this some time ago and have used it in other online forums. It reflects my passion for *nix systems and using the command line. I don't always use the bash shell but I find it's the most user friendly.

And what is the story behind your own login name here?

cheers

hashbang

Posted Image

Mine is the most boring. See my real name is Herkko. Replace K's with C's. I'm finnish and in finnish C's can be said exactly like K's. Letter C is classified as "foreign" letter so are B, Q, W, Z. Foreign letters are letters that appear in Finnish alphabet (which is same as english with the addition of Å, Ä and Ö) but are not used in real finnish words. It is very common here to pick your online nicks based on your real name, replacing some letters with "foreign" letter which sound close the same. V->W. S->Z, etc.

Hey Host Buddies,Where are you? Xisto?I noticed you are using thePlanet.com. I used them for a couple of years with two dedicated redhat servers. I even travelled to Dallas to check them out before leasing the boxes. I was most impressed. The giant fish tanks, cold rooms and geeks with mini aquariums on their desks ... too cool. They were great .. even calling me here in Australia when one of the boxes would go down (which was usually 2 am my time). In the end, my bandwidth became way too expensive and had to go looking for cheaper options. As with many net business, I gave it up in Feb of this year.I would be interested from an Anthropological perspective to chat with one of the owners (via PM) about motivation and vision for this community.cheershashbang

Soleq is a newer name I created. I started with Sol (Sun), then just added the ended "eq." Pretty simple, no?But this is only one of the many names I go under. Geez, thinking about it, I've had quite a few. Oh well, I still go by my others on other forums and servers, but I like this one the best. Simple.

My name is easily the most basic of all, Darren is my name. Yep that's it. That's how incredibly imaginative I am. Which is probably the main reason I am so much better at coding than graphics.

All of you with youre easy ones makes me want to jump in.  I grew up near the Ouachita river where I liked to water ski a lot.  Just put the two together and kaboom.  been using it since about 96.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ouachita River? Isn't that somewhere in Arkansaw? Seems like I remember gong on a camping holiday with my parents when I was about 8 to the Ouachita River. Oh, then again, I thought there was an Ouachita in Oklahoma?

Anyway ... nice nick.

cheers

hashbang

Heh mines pretty easy. Xaine is the name of a Role Playing Character that I use within some of the forums I go to. The name Xaine came from a book called Dragon and Phoenix. I liked the name and after I started with a new character I choose it as its name and as my screen name.

Well MY name Consists of two basic elements!1. My Initials are jwc so that is very simple.2 and my most favorite football team of all! The Florida Gators!!!!(They are going to be National Champions 05!)

Ouachita River? Isn't that somewhere in Arkansaw? Seems like I remember gong on a camping holiday with my parents when I was about 8 to the Ouachita River. Oh, then again, I thought there was an Ouachita in Oklahoma?

Anyway ... nice nick.

cheers

hashbang

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thats the one. I was raised a little further down the river from there in Louisiana, but it is still butiful nun the less. There are calendars produced yearly of nothing but pictures of the Ouachita river.