xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sky1405241473

Why I Chose Macintosh Virtues of OS 10

When the major OS' were first being created the reason that people liked macs is because of their ease of use. You didn't have to memorize all sorts of code just to open a document, they had an interactive interface from the start. Now that everything is so simple a hamster could run it, the Apple company has gone the other way. They still have the simple interface for those that don't require something more customizable, but thanks to a little program called Applescript you can use basic unix programming to change the inner workings of programs and documents (you can even change the OS to some extent). From simple things like allowing free Quicktime to go into fullscreen mode, to more complicated things. Ease of use when I need it and customization when I need it are the reasons that I chose Mac.

thanks to a little program called Applescript you can use basic unix programming

mas OSX Iis UNIX.

as far as i am concerned, MAC OS is dead...
Mac OS9 was lame... the company was panicking, they re-hired steve jobs, and he saved the company...

How did he do it ?
He scrapped Mac OS, and instead, used FreeBSD (re-write the kernel, and desktop environment, ported from OS9)

MacOS ???? ^_^ Apple is a company without scruple, they have created a Product call OSX where only the X is Unix, Mac os is based only on the graphic apps and if you open the console is like the win's one, with more apps, but they can't say..wonderful as Macpowerful as UnixMacOsX is a fake

All of our school computers are Windows-run, with the exception of maybe one or two staff-owned Apples. But even then, most people at our school prefer Windows over Macintosh, if only for the ease of use.Seriously, if you're looking to make something available to the majority of computer users out there, you should choose Windows. Unless, of course, everyone in your community uses Macintosh, which I doubt.

Seriously, if you're looking to make something available to the majority of computer users out there, you should choose Windows. Unless, of course, everyone in your community uses Macintosh, which I doubt.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually I think the majority of users should not be lining the pockets of Microsoft shareholders. They should be supporting the ones who are really interested in quality computing. I agree, the MacOSX is a freebsd ripoff. I think they shoud be giving away MAcOSX for free!

ANyway, with the good graphical support for linux these days, the average home user could be just as ease with a linux box as a MS one.

Viva la *nix!

cheers

hashbang

Posted Image

My choice in Macs is simple: I just can't seem to stop buying them. To me, the Mac was always something more than a pile of random computer parts thrown together with duct tape (as most early PCs were, and some still are). Apple created, in essence, a living being. PCs were workstations at Fortune 500 companies. Macs were elegant tools for the people with slightly too much money to do with. While the overall program base is far less than the Windows horde, I still find that I can do everything a PC user can. Sure, I might not be able to play counterstrike, but that to me is a small insignificant loss.The UNIX underpinnings have brought the Mac from a rather unstable age to the modern age. Same goes with Window's transition from 9x to NT-based. While some might cry out witch with this statement, but I view both OSX and XP as essentially the same OS. Choose your preference, and you'll be happy. I like the reliable hardware. I got tired of fixing a random part on the computer every other month.

but I view both OSX and XP as essentially the same OS.

OSX and OpenBSD (call it Unix if you want) are virtually the same OS.
the BSD's are cousins of Linux,
Linux is the daughter of Minix,
Minix was Unix's little brother...

its a strange family tree... but windows is the complete oposite of anything even remotely Unix Like.

Counter Strike runs fine in Wine.and Wine runs fine on *nix systems.https://www.winehq.org/

OSX and OpenBSD (call it Unix if you want) are virtually the same OS.

the BSD's are cousins of Linux,

Linux is the daughter of Minix,

Minix was Unix's little brother...

its a strange family tree... but windows is the complete oposite of anything even remotely Unix Like.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You took my wording in the literal since. I was referring to the fact that both perform the same basic task of providing a user interface to run programs. Both operating systems are mature, both are reliable, and both fit their need. Of course I know that the underpinnings are completely different. It doesn't matter what engine the car has under the hood; both are well capable of driving from point A to point B.

I use win2k and a OS X. The windows box is good for running the assorted and random stuff that I occasionaly feel the itch to mess with, the Mac is for getting work done, without the BS. People who have not used OSX for an extended period of time often do not appreciate the non obvious advantages to the OS, such as never having to defragment your hard drive, not getting viruses, not having your computer slow to a crawl such that it is difficult to switch between programs, etc. etc. The only real complaints I hear about macs are the 'lack of software' and the lack of games. the lack of games is real, but then again, this is my 'work computer'. Don't buy a mac for games, buy it for work. In terms of lack of software, I wonder what they are talking about. All the large software packages exist on the mac, the only things that might be missing are the more obscure. If you NEED said peice of obscurity, then fine. But that isn't 99% of people who aren't spending all day on CS.

I have never used a MAC but I've heard that they are great for design...I'd like to get an iBook and try it out... Maybe... Some day... The bad thing about Mac's is that you need to decided how to spend the money...Kindda like "Hunny We are not eating this month, I'M GETTING A MAC"...^_^ So I stick with PC's for now... But the closest I can get to a Mac is by installing Linux, will do soon...:D

So I stick with PC's for now... But the closest I can get to a Mac is by installing Linux, will do soon..

or you could go CraZY and install a minimal linux system (Gentoo for speed, or Linux From Scratch for speed and ulta minimalism) then install PearPC (the MAC hardware emulator) then get your hands on a MacOSX install CD, and install MacOS on your pc !

and when a super tiny Linux system (like linux from scratch) can goot on my 1.3Ghz athlon in 4 seconds... you might not even notice your not using a mac.

but anyways, in a Linux person.. personally i dont understand why poeple go from a open Hardware with closed OS (windows) to a Open OS on closed hardware... why not go all the way and just install a Linux of FreeBSD on a PC.

anyways....
check it out, i think its on https://sourceforge.net/ its called pearPC

The reason why someone goes from open hardware+closed OS to Open OS + Closed hardware(though Mac OSX is hardly truly open), is that some people don't care all that much about the open/closed debate. They want something that gives them no **** and does what they want. Windows will usually do what you want, at least kinda, but has a long history of either giving you **** itself or being virus ridden or having other random problems. Linux gives you **** in that its not very intuitive at all. Instead of doing your work or what have you the user has to Go Learn Linux, which can be no easy task. Then, on linux, while there is lots of software, there isn't photoshop(GIMP doesnt count, not by a long shot), dreamweaver, etc etc etc. So, after you learn linux, you have to Go Learn New Programs, which may or may not have the ease of use/features you require. Which all adds up to a huge hassle for someone who, like most people, just wants to use their computer to do their work and be done with it.