xisto Community
arunkumarhg

Embedded Database Embedded Data base at client side,

Hi,Now its the era of Embedded databases, no more db servers, no more host,Because with embedded db you can get all those options, what you are used to get with DB Servers.Some of Embedded DB Are1) Cloudscape From IBM (NOW Derby from ASF)2) HSQLDB (OpenSource)and many moreFeel the power of EDBCheersArunkumar.H.G

i cant get the meaning of embedded databases..... How does it work?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Suppose now if you want to have RDBMS then you need to have a DB Server running on some host with predefined Port, and your application which uses DB Should get Connected to that DB Server and Query it for Further Perocess (Depend s on your application's funcionalites and Loigc). This is How Traditional DB Works. It consumes lot of time in configuring the DB Server and make it to run.

Embedd Database (i will call it as EDB) are those things which will have all the Options of Traditional RDBMS, but no need to have a server,port loigc, you can have it like a Library, and distribute with your application. The End user no need to configure anything to bring up the DB Server, EDB will act as Library within you app.

Cheers

Arunkumar.H.G

with specific library no?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No, You can make Your EDB and Application a Single Package, with any Installer you can have a Distribution Mechanism. No need to configure DB Server, The Installer will install your application along with DB, The End user won't be Knowing what happening at Underlying layer (No need for Him, all he wants is Just the Application should Run Properly).

Anything Else Feel Free

Cheers

Arunkumar.H.G

EDB? Sounds good but i think;1. Decreased compatibility. Because the differences between programming language. Make it imposibble for them to use the same database. For example an integrated system which uses VB and PHP at the same time.2. Complex implementation. I think EDB might cause more confusion about a database implementation. I mean, with different EDBs for different programming languages, you might get different implementation, especially when we are talking about open source databases such as MySQL.that's all what i think....

Well it is true that embed Databases have many advantages such as been portable, and to run without installing and configuring a server and accessing it as a host.But I also agree that embed databases are not always a good option as wanhafizi said.I think that you must evaluate your project before choosing a type or database (server or embed).Almost all Databases that run as a server had the advantage to be more scalable and support many concurrent users at the time and in the case of embed databases they usually work in mono-user applications where only one at the same time access the database.However if your application is an small one that requires to be very portable, such as take the entire system in an usb drive or a cd/dvd, then embed databases are your best option because they are included "inside" your application. I have used hsqldb with a Java application that requires such portability an it works really good, I used it the same way as I use other databases (using a JDBC connector). I can use the same queries and dml commands as mysql or others.I hope this comment makes more clear the advantages and disadvantages of a embed database.