xisto Community
tuning_problem

Guide To Firefox Extensions Firefox extensions guide

jake, what kind of net connection do you have? Usually those types of things impact 56k's much more then high speeds...I used to use bugmenot all the time, forgot about it recently since I installed firefox on a clean system. I'll have to grab it again and try out those new ones. I used to be big into extensions but I don't use as many now, still have quite a number. Usually I like to keep a weather tracker extension for forcasts, a css viewer, some enhanced page source viewing extensions, and some menu modifiers. Porbably a couple others but nothing amazing really. They sort of rotate too as I get bored of some and pick up new ones haha. Thats the great thing about the extensions too, you can use them as long as you want them then just disable them if you want them gone,

I have a cable and a wireless, 10mbps connection... I would get a better one but I really can't afford it right now. Besides I think 10mbps is alright, even though i wish I had better. But I definatly don't have 56k, and my connection is fairly fast for a wireless 10mbps. The extension still effects me a little though. It was hard to see the difference the day I tested it but I found it. (I was very bored that day.)

That's cool then. Like I said usually people who say these boosters have an awesome speed increase... it means pages load in a minute rather then 2 haha. But yea if it actually boosts speeds noticeably on a high speed connection I'll have to check it out :o

I posted a list of extensions I use here: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/89460-topic/?findpost=1064342885

Could you guys go to that topic and add the extensions you guys like?
In about a week or so I am going to make it a poll to find out what the best extension is. I also recommend you install most of the extensions on my list, especially fasterfox. (it is a must)

My favorite extension: noScript (but it adds to your workload ;)

Pros: By default, noScript disables javascript, java, popups, flash and many other things that are annoying to people who just like to read text and view simple images. It keeps a list of websites with non-default properties for each of them, so that you can allow your bank, favorite websites, etc to have whatever properties you want available to them.

I was amazed when I first used this extension, how much of what I browsed did not even need javascript. When it does, noScript provides easy ways to enable what you need, either temporarily or permanently, by website. I find noScript eliminates 90% of the annoyances that intrusive websites try to deliver to your desktop, and it certainly prevents cross-site scripting and other potential risks when you visit an unknown website.

Cons: (1) If the website you are visiting wants to do something by scripting, and it doesn't announce the fact, noScript may be preventing something essential. (My domain signup here was probably delayed a day or two because I didn't realize the signup page was trying to popup a window.) (2) If you are in the middle of a form, press "Submit" and nothing happens, you must then carefully copy the material you have entered to the clipboard or another safe place before enabling scripts. Enabling them often results in a reload of the page and possible loss of what has been filled in. It is worth noting here that many (cgi) scripts DO function properly without javascript. (3) New versions of noScript come out about weekly these days. Be prepared to put up with reminders to upgrade relatively frequently.

I am fully aware of both the pros & cons, and would not be caught in Firefox without noScript! ^_^