xisto Community
thedevil

C# And .NET Know about C# and dot.Net

.Net is a new change in web solutions technology... as far as i know... the main feature is around ASP.net and i dont know much about it...soon will explore the depth and produce a short tutorial for fellow members....so wait...

ahem! no double posting and kindly use the edit button :Pabout dot.net and c#, c# is an another prog languages came from c++ which is safer and but not as powerfull as the latter(no pointers ^_^), and dot net is an.... i forgot(sorry :D ) i'll post next time i have feed my brain.

the way java was based on c++, trying to rule out the biggest flaws of c++, c# is based on java.it's just one part of the .net platform, there's j# en vb.net and asp.net, which actually is just a way to program for webapplications and uses either vb.net & c#best way to program for .net apps is getting visual studio.net, a ms product that costs quite a bit, but it's worth it's money.anything you want to know, just ask

Well, .NET has a great power on programming web sites... Is true that C is most cross OS language, and that C# is a windows-only language... But with SDK's like mono yu can run it on Linux, so is not that tied up to Windows...Has a great set of libraries that help you make almost everything more easily...I like it better than C+ or C++ 'cause it has a easies and more understandable sintax...

If you are interested have a llok at the beginning videos for LearningVisualStudio.net. They are excellent in showing how to approach this language.

Well, .NET has a great power on programming web sites... Is true that C is most cross OS language, and that C# is a windows-only language... But with SDK's like mono yu can run it on Linux, so is not that tied up to Windows...

Has a great set of libraries that help you make almost everything more easily...

I like it better than C+ or C++ 'cause it has a easies and more understandable sintax...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

C# and the whole dot net is Microsofts latest attempt to tie programmers to their operating systems.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree. I love the infrastructure and architecture of DotNet, and in particular C#. Let me explain:

The .NET framework is precisely thus: a framework. It provides a frame of methods and classes and namespaces to do things that one would like to do - run GUIs, internet, data processing, lots of collection and utility classes etc. It also provides a language in which to use them, a very object-orientated set of semantics. The various different languages, C#, .NET, C++.NET, Delphi.NET (produced by Borland, hence proving this isn't an entirely microsoft thing) all then can use this framework and is compiled to .NET bytecode. Microsoft then provides an interpreter for this bytecode for Windows (but there is also in production an implementation of the bytecode interpreter for Linux, hence once this is done .NET bytecode can be run on Linux, the same bytecode that would work on Windows.) On one level, the .NET framework provides a nice way of abstracting things off: You have the bytecode, produced in any language you wish, that can then run on many platforms - both platforms have a GUI implementation, that has the same behaviour and properties so you can use code for both systems. Thus, the entire .NET system is object-orientated itself, which is how things should be done in a modern world and make sense.

Another thing I love is the actual power of the framework from the object orientated point of view: the notation is very nice and it allows you to do everything, <i>full</i> object-orientated power (in a way unlike any previous microsoft language,) very consistent notation not treating system things specially to anything you would do, and has some quite outstanding features compared to Java or VB.Net, particularly in Framework Version 2.0 including generics (polymorphic data types, for those from the Functional Programming world,) Anonymous functions (Yayy! LAmbda abstractions in Real Life not just in Academia!) and even co-routines (or at least a beautiful iterator-translation implementation of them.) The .NET framework and in particular C# are now my language of choice for most general tasks, and I have used it in industry last summer writing a generic object-orientated machine simulator.

C# and the whole dot net is Microsofts latest attempt to tie programmers to their operating systems.

C# is honestly a great language from microsoft. It's easy to learn, the compilers are free and it really is
turning into a solution for true cross-platform development.

I don't know if the mono project has anything to do with it, but microsoft has actually gone open-source
with v.3.5 of the .Net Framework. I'm sure the mono development teams will soon be scouring the
source code and developing a real port for linux and other operating systems.

Visual Studio 2008 has just been released.

In C# this introduces LINQ for creating objects out of Relational SQL Server databases and WPF for
creating visually compelling windows applications and stand-alone browser applications.

In Web Developer microsoft got away from that really annoying theme engine they built in '05 and created
an extremely nice CSS based theme engine.

I hate microsoft products as much as the next programmer, but if they keep cranking out open-sourced
updates like they did this year, I'm all for it!

I still wish google would build a cross-platform framework complete with visual development tools.

any thread about .net and C#. i presume there is no thread about it... hence...here is one... share your information about C# and .net and anything... concerning it...

Hi!!

I heard from the students of (.net) that it is much easy and and good language than C#. Is it so?
As .net is window based it is easy and C# is not so.
Can anyone tell me which is the best language to be opted to get a good scope in website designing in the future .

Thanks

I heard from the students of (.net) that it is much easy and and good language than C#. Is it so?As .net is window based it is easy and C# is not so.
Can anyone tell me which is the best language to be opted to get a good scope in website designing in the future .

If you want to be limited to Microsoft servers, write down your programs using Microsoft .net
If you want to learn how to write very portable programs, running everywhere, including ridiculously small pizza boxes as well as huge Unix servers (the biggest systems currently available in the world), then you must learn C language.

I heard from the students of (.net) that it is much easy and and good language than C#. Is it so?As .net is window based it is easy and C# is not so.

Microsoft .NET is not a language, rather, a framework for writing applications using languages such as C#, VB, C++ & Delphi. The framework is composed of runtime features such as memory management and a huge library of classes that help you in doing any kind of programming.

One of the important reasons of having a framework is to make the source code portable across different operating systems and platforms. Take the Compact Framework for instance, it allows you to write .NET applications for a Windows Mobile Enabled smart phone. Similarly, there are third party implementations of the framework for Linux; mono being the most popular one. A lot of open source applications (such as the libtorrent library) have also been written using mono.

True, the portability of C programs is still higher. But, the programs need to be modified and compiled for each Operating System. This is where the advantage of the Framework comes in. The framework which in itself is platform dependent, takes care of handling the issues of portability. .NET applications are compiled into bytecodes an intermediate language. It is during the runtime that the framework's CLR compiles the bytecode into platform specific code.

The main disadvantage of using a framework is that it takes up quite a bit of disk space (especially for smaller devices) and as such it is not possible to bundle them into every device; at least not now. An in-depth knowledge of C/C++ is very good for a programmer. But, eventually we will have to completely move on to languages and frameworks that allow us to focus on solving the problem statement of an application and not worry about memory management, how the application would look in different platforms, etc and other such complicated issues. After all, isn't the computer there to make life easier for us.