xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
overture

Seting Up A 2 Computer Network? I would like to know how...

Hey, i am wondering what i would need to set-up a network between a Laptop and a Desktop Computer. The desk-top will be used for storage (programs, songs...).It will only be between the two computers.I know nothing about this as it is for my brother. I am in the United Kingdom so i would appreciate any costs or whatever to be in £'s.All i know is that he needs a N.I.C.I think he wants only the basics so he can have all of the programs and whatever on the desk-top and he can access everything via his laptop.I would really appreciate any help and guidance.Thankyou

OK. but will he be able to access and run all of the programs and files on the desktop from his laptop. does he a need a hub, N.I.C, cables.

all you need:-the laptop has to have a network connection. same goes for the desktop-you need a cross utp cable. ask one at the store. tell them it HAS to be a crosscable, not straight! make it just as long as you want. connect the two computers directly. you don't need a hub.wait a little bit...after a while, both networkcards will have automatic ip addresses. int the 169.x.y.z area. you can now start sharing filesif your internet connection is occupying your network connection of your desktop, you might consider buying a router. or a second network card for your desktop, that would be cheaper

Thankyou very much marijnnn, i will give it a shot. i appreciate all the responses especially yours marijnnn.thanks again all.