xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmdort

How To Setup Internet Information Services

this tutorial shows how to set up IIS on windows XP..

IIS is not installed by default on Windows XP Professional. You will need to install it & will need your Windows XP setup CD for this process. Go to the Control Panel and select Add or Remove Programs.From within Add or Remove Programs, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left panel.

The Windows Components Wizard will appear. Check Internet Information Services (IIS) and click on Details.This is all of the functionality being installed. Check the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service so you can gain experience with it. Click OK. Click Next.

After this it better to update the service using windows update...

Then Open the Control Panel and double-click on Administrative Tools. You have a new icon there labeled Internet Information Services. Double click and open it.

u will see something similar to the screenshot

Posted Image

Right-click on Web Sites and choose Properties. Here you can set the properties for all of the websites.

ISAPI Filters

ISAPI Filters are functions in IIS where documents are passed through before being served to the web. For example, a document is passed through the Compression filtered and compressed before being served. You can change the order documents are processed through the filters or Add new ones. Typically, you do not need to alter the settings on this tab.

The Home Directory tab contains the default rights for directories and also allows you to change settings for your web “applications.”

If you click on the Configuration button, you will see the Application Configuration. This allows you to change extensions which are run through certain application DLLs. For example, ASP files are run by ASP.DLL which processes the commands and scripting contained in it.

HTTP Headers contains the header information sent from the server to the web browser. You can control content expiration from here – forcing browsers to request web pages if they're expired. You can change header information sent, Content Rating, or the MIME map – which files are handled by what application.

The Web Site Identification section allows you to assign an IP address for the Web Server to serve pages on.

Click on the advanced TAB and click on ADD

Here you can specify Host Header Names that IIS will listen for. Again, if you had the Server version you can specify multiple websites to listen on one IP address but then enter different Host Header Names to separate your websites out. This should contain http://www.freebackgrounds.com and yoururl.com to catch people not using www. Since your IIS server will only serve up one website, it's optional to enter this information.

Any other INFo on setting up IIS.. PM me or post..

. Read it.. u should understand..

IIS is not installed by default on Windows XP Professional. You will need to install it & will need your Windows XP setup CD for this process. Go to the Control Panel and select Add or Remove Programs.From within Add or Remove Programs, click on the Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left panel.The Windows Components Wizard will appear. Check Internet Information Services (IIS) and click on Details.This is all of the functionality being installed. Check the File Transfer Protocol (FTP) Service so you can gain experience with it. Click OK. Click Next.

nice tutorial ^_^just an advise to novice if you want to use php, cgi, jsp, asp(old) use apache instead of iis, coz iis a little bit buggy and its a backdoor when the service is running when your online. if you want to try asp.net use iis with precutions and besure to update it regularly :D

nice tutorial ;)

iis a little bit buggy and its a backdoor when the service is running when your online. if you want to try asp.net use iis with precutions and besure to update it regularly ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Absolutely agree with that - iis is not just a "little" bt buggy - it's very unstable too, even after you apply all the hotfixes. No use of it unless you plan to use asp. Nothing to beat the stability and performance boost that is gained by using the LAMP model ( Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP ). One thing if you notice carefully - is that every time Microsoft comes out with a patch to fix some security hole - it covers that one up and opens up another 100 new ones. And with every hotfix - your installed code gets bulkier and shakier. One is left to wonder why ...... :P or is microsoft trying to prove that it's got you in its grips for good !!!

Absolutely agree with that - iis is not just a "little" bt buggy - it's very unstable too, even after you apply all the hotfixes. No use of it unless you plan to use asp. Nothing to beat the stability and performance boost that is gained by using the LAMP model ( Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP ). One thing if you notice carefully - is that every time Microsoft comes out with a patch to fix some security hole - it covers that one up and opens up another 100 new ones. And with every hotfix - your installed code gets bulkier and shakier. One is left to wonder why ...... :P or is microsoft trying to prove that it's got you in its grips for good !!!

Well Guys,
I agree with you all too saying that iis is buggy. but I've a different experience.
I'm using iis with php5 and it's working all fine. I'm a linux lover myself too so no doubt that LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP) environment is unbreakable and is perfect.

Anyhow, if, for some reason, someone feels that linux can not be handled then having windows server 2003 with AMP(Apache, MySQL, PHP) Model is not a bad idea too. This'll work fine and installation 's not very tricky too except you have to configure httpd.conf configuration file manually. Which's really not a big headach.

So, we have other options :P :-) Bill Gates is not the last genius left on earth and Microsoft is not the end of universe. "There are still 7 skies to explore".............

Just wanna ask you dude's is it a big security risk to run Frontpage Server Extensions on a server? i read on the net that they advise not to run the server extension as it is quite dangerous. is it true?

Well, the problem with Microsoft stuff is that they open ports and leave them open ungaurded or may be with gaurds who'll stop everyone without separating goods and bads or stoping no one at all. I have been in a huge huge struggle to fix Windows XP professional's firewall to makee to PCs work in a work group, wirelessly at my home, witout any Access Point. It's done now but it's not easy as it is so called "User friendly";

The main point here is that Frontpage Server Extensions might be risky cause you have an inviting open http port. Secondly, two things I always ask everyone and i.e. Do you have any enemy? and Do You have a server working on, for or with something important? any of these questions' answer is yes then yes Frontpage is totally unsafe.

I give you another example here. If you drive a s-grade MERC and then have a try on Some korean Hayundai's Luxary car of same class, off course MERC is better in performance, smoothness, power and comfertability. now in Operating System's case, Hayundai (Microsoft) is a huge numbered production, well advertised, beautifully designed body(FRONT END), shining brand new engine(Windows Kerenal) , but what happens when its stats up, wow nice sound let's have a race with MERC now. and MERC is Linux which is almost free.

so get the s-grade lads... it's free. forget Frontpage Server Extensions, cause yes it might be risky:):P:P:P:)

hi from where did you get that program i really need it badly please friend let me know

Well, this does have some argument to it. In the Windows NT 4 days, it used to be a separate download from Microsoft.(with http, ftp, and gopher [don't ask])

I recommend using Apache better than IIS. This is because it supports PHP, MySQL as well as other technologies better than IIS. Also, IIS is only compatible with ASP and MSSQL. This is ridiculous because PHP is easier to learn and manipulate than ASP.By the way, you can't run IIS on Windows XP Home Edition, but you can on Windows 98 Second Edition.

It is really bad that Microsoft didnt include the support for PWS or IIS in Win XP Home Edition.But you can always use Apache , or get a package like LAMP or EasyPHP that will install Apache, MySql and PHP so that you can save time and get in designing your site.IIS are best used for ASP and ASP.NET sites or the sites that use MS SQL Server as Database. Go for IIS only if you are planning to using the Microsoft technologies to design websites.BUt if you love tinkering you can manually install PHP and MySQL for IIS and modify the environment variables to get your PHP site running on IIS.

Can we find out when a website was hosted in IIS?How To Setup Internet Information ServicesHi All,This is very Old thread and I hope that some one replies to my question.Presuming Scenario...We have couple of websites (x.Com, y.Com, z.Com) hosted in any version of IIS for this case lets say IIS6, is there any way where we can find out when x.Com was hosted, when y.Com and z.Com where live on IIS.Regards,-Ashok-question by Ashok