xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmdort

Reset BIOS How to ??

Guys i have gotta problem with my BIOS. I forgot my password...How do i reset my BIOS...It s aPHOENIX 6.0 BIOS make Fujitsu.I know there are backdoor passwords for award BIOS . Is there somthing of that sort for phoenix BIOS. Is there a way to reset the BIOS. ITs a laptop so shorting wires wun work... Any help would be appreciated :P

well, I don't know of any backdoor password. However, you may be able to reset it by flashing it to a new version, or flashing it back to 'default'. Check to see if there is a new bios version available, and check to see if there is a reset to default flash option somewhere from either pheonix or fujitsu.

i cant check with fujitsu coz they said they will take two weeks or so to reset it.. I cant waste so much time...... Lemme check in neowin.... mebbe they have some solutions

There are usually reset jumpers in the mainboard. What you simply need to do is remove the jumper and put it back in. With computer shut off. To locate your resut jumper, check your motherboard manual. Manufacturer's website could also help.

Guys i have gotta problem with my BIOS. I forgot my password...How do i reset my BIOS...

It s a

PHOENIX 6.0 BIOS make Fujitsu.

I know there are backdoor passwords for award BIOS . Is there somthing of that sort for phoenix BIOS.

Is there a way to reset the BIOS. ITs a laptop so shorting wires wun work... Any help would be appreciated :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can reset it yourself. All you have to do is find out where the reset jumper is. It is usually jumper 12. The location for it depends on the motherboard. Once you have located it, all you have to do is turn the computer off, pull the reset jumper, leave it off for about thirty seconds, and then replace it, and reboot.

The draw back to this is, that if you have any special settings in bios, then you will loose the doing this.

I don't suggest flashing your BIOS. Never ever flash your BIOS unless you need a new version. Flashing has been made a bit too easy nowadays. People might not realize that there always is a risk.

he does have a point.. but in ur post it sounded like u were desperate... so thats all i could come up with. but yea, only flash ur bios if u really messed up the machine... i mean really messed up... like u cant even get to ur bios. but thx for clarifyin that. :P

I'TS NOT FLASHING THE BIOS, the tool i was talking about just RESETS the bios to its original values, thus disabling the password. Really CMOSPWD is the best tool to reset your bios.

None of these will work. !bios / cmospwd / spotmau etc. Don't yet know about these modern bioses and so just return 100% gibberish; their blanking functions target the wrong addresses also.The password info is held inside nonvolatile memory which either does not require constant power to retain the data, or else is backed up by an unidentified smt capacitor somewhere on the board (capacitor's my conjecture)The memory used generally resides within the main peripheral controller chip and is not addressable by the 'normal' address bus used by general programs. So, removing the cmos battery accomplishes nothing.Reflashing the bios also does nothing more than replace the bioses running code, it does not replace the password memory within the controller chip.One would need to identify whatever pins are used on the controller chip to access the memory, attach some form of piggyback hardware, and 'milk' the password data out of it. This would entail knowing precisely how to address the memory within the chip (pulse timings) and also exactly which addresses to read.Then, one would need to know exactly what algorithm the bios was using to hash down from a readable password to whatever encrypted form is held in the controller chip. Then you could -possibly- write code to determine ascii strings which resulted in the same hash.No doubt the '0000' or equivalent hash (resulting from a simple hardware clear of the password memory) has been foreseen and coded against. Software and hardware designs to break these newer bioses will no doubt come about eventually but there's a waiting period whilst the geeks fiddle around, and this time the budding bios password cracker will need a soldering iron, pretty good electronics construction skills, and a good quality oscilloscope.Look deeper into the subject of 'Trusted Computing' and you'll see all this is the least of the worries about the future of smalltime computer repair. Soon enough, if you're not Dell or Siemens, you'll have no hope doing anything. Personally, I'm going back to gardening :) -reply by edfrgwerg

The BIOS on my computer can be reset by pressing a button on the motherboard 'Reset CMOS', but this method is only available on new motherboards with onboard diagnostic features.

You could also reset the CMOS / BIOS by removing the CMOS battery from the motherboard for 15-30 minutes, or by triggering the CMOS jumper on the motherboard.

For more info, a good source of information on resetting the BIOS is:
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

reset bios on a laptopReset BIOS

Taking out the battery will not set the BIOS? I don't know what school you went to, but taking out the battery which causes the CMOS chip to lose power and consequently resets itself. And what's all that other stuff you are babbling about? He just wants to know what time it is not how to fix the clock, unless you are trying to impress everyone. You probably making half of it up as you go along...So go back to your Geek chair, let te men take care of this one..Take the battery out, wait five minutes, put it back...That's it.

The PC Doctor