xisto Community
Pokona.com

Speeding Up Common Downloads

Most of you probably know all of these but just in case you donât hereâs some stuff you can do if your not feeling patient.

1. Close your anti-virus.

Usually your anti-viral program slows down all your connections, incoming and outgoing to your computer. If you think what your downloading is safe, consider temporarily shutting down your anti-virus.

2. Bit Torrent

I donât really know what it does but I think it has something to do with downloading portions of files from a bunch of different people instead of just one source so it goes faster.

3. Tweak

Download this stuff http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php , it should give you a little boost.

well, you could close your antivirus & firewall as they do slow down the traffic as you mentioned. but then there's no use in having them.the tweak will work when surfing sites that load slow and have lots of picturesclosing all downloadprograms like bittorrent, kazaa, emule, soulseek,... will also speed up your surfingusing download managers or accelerators will not speed up your surfing, as they don't do the html pages. they will however speed up the downloading of mp3 files you want to download. at least, if you download them with the downloadmanagerso if you want to download a 100MB file, it will help. what a download manager does is acting as if x people are downloading the file. most servers only allow a certain speed /client, let's say 100kB/s. if you're downloadmanager splits the file up in 10 pieces and starts downloading them at the same time, the server will allow 10*100kB = 1MB!!!in reality, it won't go that fast, but it will go faster!hurray!

hmmmmmm....that would work...but I'm wondering is there anybodyt hat could give any pointers on how to gett he max out of your connection. Like When I'm not networking my net speed is supposed 2 be 1.5mps but In reality I never downloaded faster then 250kbs. The only time I downloaded at the max of 1.5mps was when I was using a program that is made for only downloading games. What I'm really trying 2 ask is is there anybody that has the technology or knowledge that could tell me how to get the max of my connection.....which should be 1.5mps and not 256kbs. The answer would be greatly appreciated but I'm also quite fine witht he speed I'm going at right now which is 100kbs...cuz im splitting my connection three way....but if i could utalise my connection I would be able to go about 600kbs or around there and that would be nice to :P oh well any answers would be appreciated. thnx

I’m not sure exactly how that works. I know that if I download a file from dslreports it downloads at 300kb/s, and if i download a popular file from download.com it's closer to 1000kb/s. With that I'm going to assume it’s more of the server you’re downloading from then your connection. Meaning if connection A had a download of 3mb/s, and connection b had 1mb/s, both would download the file from the same speed of a server with an upload >1000kb/s....I think.....Someone back me up.

People, i wouldnt recommend using tweaks unless they have been certified and not handed down through general knoweledge. They could really harm your computer. IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING DONT DO IT :P!!!

Well then its unfortunate because i connect at around 28.8k (dial up to the minimum!) so i download on average at around 3kb. I know, its really sad but in my area ADSL is sold out!!!!Looks like ill have to leech of my friends :P

lol .. is 2Mb/s really 250kbyte /s ?i tot it's megabyte ... hmm .. i really dun think so .. then y r my ISP selling 384kb/s cheaper than 1mb/s ..i think Byte is the standard unit for bandwidth.just like international standard unit for measurement is in meters but not in cm, mm or anything else :PBtw ... i used the tweak ... my com shuts down faster .. but everytime i noticed some illegal operation - liked prompt out (i couldnt read wat it says as my com shuts down too fast)

hm..i wouldnt turn off your anti-virus if i were you...it just lets in all the viruses that will eventually make your comp's downloads go slower then they did when you had the anti virust running...also, i tried using bit torrent to download naruto anime, but its really annoying and slow...so just go to dc and download direct connect! its a great download sytem! no im not getting payed to advertise them ^_^

i'm only using a dial up(too bad), using flash get makes my download speed at 4.xx kb anyway i'm not using download apz to bost up my download, but to able to continue my download after dc. also running my anti virii and firewall doesn't seem to slow my dl time and my connection, instead it makes my dl faster coz i can monitor which program is connecting and it can block unknown packet send by most dl site which slow your dl time. and my anti virus is always on (trust no one ^_^) even your trusted friend can send a virus.

Well one way you speed up your downloads is that you get a download accelerator which will find more sources which will increase your download speed. or another is that u use a download manager

If you have a long download, though, you might as well disable your virus protection and let it sit there. <_< >_> 'Cause, you know, nobody will try to break into your computer. People are too nice for that. xPBut yeah, I find bittorrent to be particularly helpful... as well as GetRight. >_> Though it only allows 5 simultaneous connections to one source....

Well, I agree withg the Download Manager/Accelerator part, I use Getright, although it's not free it doen't block you from Downloading, it gives you an option to pay or to continue the use. Also, I use the Mozilla Firefox, built in downloading management, it's pretty fast, anyway, so I use it.

Although the download manager in Mozilla Firefox works fine, I find it a bit basic. It may be better to download a more functional one rather than to use the built-in download manager for Firefox.But I'm not sure if a new program would interfere with the built-in one in any way. Will it?