xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
marijnnn

Help Needed: Floppy Emulating On USB Pen

well, i don't have a floppy drive on my laptop, but i do have a 256mb usb stick.i was wondering if it's possible to emulate a floppy drive on it. not only in windows! it should be available at bootup so i can boot from this virtual floppy drive...all help apreciated!!!tnx!

well, not exactly.what i'm trying is to make it look as if i have a floppy driveyou see, linux won't accept anything but a floppy do make a boot disk, and i need that boot disk.so what i'm trying to obtain is that, when i put my thumb drive to my computer, my computer thinks that there's a floppy drive. but actually, there is only a partition on my thumb drive of about 1.44mb that acts as if it were a floppy drive.i don't know if it's possible though...

Do you know if youre computer can boot from usb. not all computers can, check youre bios settings. If you can there is bound to be a way. maybe not necisarily emulating the floppy but instead having the files required to boot and the files required for the rescue.

You may want to have a look at puppy linux. It is a linux distro that boots from a thumb drive. You may get some ideas there. Here is the link to there site. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Yep, only a few machines can boot from USB.do you have a CD-ROM ?All Linux distro's have boot cd-roms to install from.What Linux DIstro are you planning on installing ?

Try the following command from a terminal:

ln -s sda1 /dev/fd0
That will make a link from your USB drive node to the usal place for a floppy node.
A node in UNIX/Linux is a medium level device access interface.
I hope this helps.

Try the following command from a terminal:

ln -s sda1 /dev/fd0
That will make a link from your USB drive node to the usal place for a floppy node.

A node in UNIX/Linux is a medium level device access interface.

I hope this helps.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This woulnt actually kick in untill the Operating system is loaded, so its fedinatly not going to fix the boot problem.

however his lack of reply surgests he has taken the advice of using a bootable cd to install rather than a bootable floppy. or atleast thats what im assuming ^_^