xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
haseeb1405241472

What Network Chat Program Do You Use ? sending messages

blergh what happened to your keyboard? Does your capslock key malfunction so you can't turn off caps? no? It's very annoying to read frankly, and why should one want to message people on the lan? I'd say just use msn messenger and add the others on your contact list :P

:) It is kind of fun to read these topics because it’s like trying to re-invent the wheel to me.What I mean is, there is a phone on your desk that works right? So why would you want to bother with messaging where you have to type every thing you say when you could just pick up the receiver punch a few buttons and start talking? Better yet you could put a person on hold and talk to someone else, have conference calling and the likes.So why bother with the cat thing? Or get rid of the phone.

:)  It is kind of fun to read these topics because itâs like trying to re-invent the wheel to me.

What I mean is, there is a phone on your desk that works right?  So why would you want to bother with messaging where you have to type every thing you say when you could just pick up the receiver punch a few buttons and start talking?  Better yet you could put a person on hold and talk to someone else, have conference calling and the likes.

So why bother with the cat thing?  Or get rid of the phone.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now people like to chat. They like to type messages, use smilieys, send each other dirty pictures and links to dirty sites.

But yeah, I agree that this is a bit of reinventing the wheel. By which I don't mean telephones but IRC.

Actually this kind of lan chat thing makes a great network programming project/excercise. Socket programming is way easier than you might think and fun to do. Best thing is that you can tailor it to your liking. Okay it'd be reinventing the wheel but in a fun and educating way. :)

I guess you guys should be glad you don't work here. I'm blocking all IM services on the LAN, WAN and MAN here and internet access are limited to people who need it and don't abuse it (like me :) ) by accessing forums etc during working hours. We control what is going on the network with a "Carnivor" spinoff called eSniff and all "known" IM ports are blocked on the firewall.I'm using host file blocklists on computers with internet access and email is filtered. We go to the extreme because there was a period a while back when the network came to a crawl and we could not understand why (before all the controlls was in place). I setup a few packet sniffers and monitored the network for a week. At the time we found multiple employees with different IM and other messaging systems taking up up to 40% of available bandwidth during working hours. :)So personally I'm against IM messaging in a work enviroment unless it's a proprietary system that can be monitored and logged and I think most places are small enough to not need IM in the work place.Nils

Really eh? I wanna bet that I can create a chat thingy :). And with SSL and PGP you don't have to worry about packetsniffers :) :). Anyways, i don't work yet (i'm 17), I think it's unfair if you don't let anyone go on IM and then as admin do everything you want. That's what's going on at my school, the admins are downloading stuff as if their lives depended on it. And the users of the computers at the library are having *BLEEP* slow internet access and having all kinds of limitations on their pc's. They also use some kind of VNC-**** to monitor everything you do. Of course, IM'ing and gaming is not supposed to be done there, but then the admins shouldn't do that too. In reaction to that i wrote a lil program that disabled all the spy stuff on the pc's (A) :))If i were i boss i don't think i would mind if employees read and write some personal email or IM'ing. IF the work isn't suffering from it.

Jipman, I guess you could create a chat thingy... :)17, what are you doing playing on the computer... you should be out enjoying yourself... (just kidding).As for the unfair statement, yes it is unfair I'm not denying that. This is also due to the hours I spend here. I may be at work from 6AM to midnight so my free time during the day I can catch up on what I like - and my house is hard wired to this network so in a way I'm on call 24/7. :)It's not vnc and it's not something on your computer. eSniff tracks all trafick on the network and any trafick across the network are going to the eSniff box in paralell . It captures websites and IM messages that are accessed. So there is nothing you can disable on your computer to avoid it. (it's the same technology that fbi and nsa use to track internet trafick/users)We had an open policy when it came to email and IM but when it took over the network it was shut down. I guess anything is good in moderation.Nils

Yeah, gues you're right there. :)Anyways, don't packetsniffers need huge amount of HD? and POP3 mail accounts passwords are sent unencrypted :).Still https and ssl do encrypt their data before sending didn't they :)?

That kind of traffic monitoring is illegal here. It's even illegal for the employer to use if the eployee doesn't mind. Yes HTTPS and SSL encrypt the data before they are send. What the sniffers can see is you sending encrypted packets. Which of course could be banned too...

netsend works for me, lol, I just write the command in the command promptnet send (user/computer/ect) (my message)the bad thing about it is it can be used to send messages to people who don't want to be bothered, otherr ones like the one built into windows you both have to have the program up and they have to "pck-up" and accept the chat session with you so it depends on what you want to do, but I ffind net send quick and easy, at least for short quick message to someone.