xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rmdort

How To Change Ur Ip Address

I've tried this on both Windows XP and Windows 2000, and it has worked:[/b]

1. Click on "Start" in the bottom left hand corner of screen

2. Click on "Run"

3. Type in "command" and hit ok

You should now be at an MSDOS prompt screen.

4. Type "ipconfig /release" just like that, and hit "enter"

5. Type "exit" and leave the prompt

6. Right-click on "Network Places" or "My Network Places" on your desktop.

7. Click on "properties"

You should now be on a screen with something titled "Local Area Connection", or something close to that, and, if you have a network hooked up, all of your other networks.

8. Right click on "Local Area Connection" and click "properties"

9. Double-click on the "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" from the list under the "General" tab

10. Click on "Use the following IP address" under the "General" tab

11. Create an IP address (It doesn't matter what it is. I just type 1 and 2 until i fill the area up).

12. Press "Tab" and it should automatically fill in the "Subnet Mask" section with default numbers.

13. Hit the "Ok" button here

14. Hit the "Ok" button again

You should now be back to the "Local Area Connection" screen.[/b]

15. Right-click back on "Local Area Connection" and go to properties again.

16. Go back to the "TCP/IP" settings

17. This time, select "Obtain an IP address automatically"

18. Hit "Ok"

19. Hit "Ok" again

20. You now have a new IP address

With a little practice, you can easily get this process down to 15 seconds.

P.S:

This only changes your dynamic IP address, not your ISP/IP address.

hmm...i dunno if I changed my dynamic IP address or what...but my router lets me change my ip address as well and it takes much less effort then your technique =P just a note: i think it would be wise to type "ipconfig /renew" in the command prompt window (cmd) after the last step...cause some computers wouldn't make the change without first renewing it... ^_^

Did you steal that or did you make it up, that is the question.I reccomend you talk to an admin, me, and talk about putting some graphics in that, and uploading it to the server as a word document.

so basically, you are restarting the network and hopeing that the DHCP server gives you a different IP address....so.... the question arises.. why would you want to do this ?this is about as usefull as changing the colour of your kidneys.

well, i'm not sure of why the topic starter would...but personally i have to change to a differerent ip address then change back because a certain server doesn't allow to connect to them *cough*ezboard*cough*. But actually recently I haven't found a need to do that...cause i left ezboard and all their stupid glitches :P

if you have a very very small network, you can use manually assigned IP addresses, and yes, change them.however on normal networks, a DHCP server sets your IP address.in this case, to change your IP, you need to own the DHCP server.on the internet, the DHCP server is owned by your ISP.they MAY keep your IP static, but they dont have to...usually, they will assign you whatever ip address is free when you connect ot the internet... so dissconecing your cable modem (unplugging from power) and then re-starting it means your ISP's DHCP server MAY give you a different IP.. however iyou have no controll over what IP they assign you.and if your IP is blocked by some online server, use a PROXIE !!!i hereby declair this thread, and infomration contained therein, obsolite.

hmmmm....here's a interresting question that somehwat has something do to with the current topic...I have heard of people forging their ip address' so that when somebody looks up your ip it will show whatever you want it to show....Is this possible...And if so does anybody know any information on it?

hmmmm....here's a interresting question that somehwat has something do to with the current topic...I have heard of people forging their ip address' so that when somebody looks up your ip it will show whatever you want it to show....Is this possible...And if so does anybody know any information on it

you mean IP spoofing ?
amungst other things, an IP packet contains a "from address", a "to address" and "data"

you need "root" or "super user" access levels, but it is possible to manually construct an ip packet, and lie when you insert the "from address"

meaning when your packet is sent, the reciever will think it came from a different place.

unless you are planning a DOS attack, you can only forge your address with protocols ICMP, UDP and IGMP.

the TCP protocol is a connection protocol, if you forge your from address, the reply to the connection attempt will be sent to the wrong address, the handshake never made, and no connection opened.

here's an old example... the orginal Quake server from ID software had a backdoor.
the backdoor would follow instructions sent to it from ID software's IP address range over a UDP port.

it was possible to send instructions to quake servers, forging the from address to ID software's IP address.

and is totally useless..