xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sydney28th

Which Is Faster? Dsl Or Cable? Which is faster???

OK! Which is faster? DSL or CABLE? Seriously.. I can't tell :P Some people say cable is faster, but other people say that now dsl matches the speed of cable or it's better or something :oSo.. I'm kind of confused... I have DSL and it's pretty fast, while my friend has CABLE... which.. her's is a bit slow.. (maybe its her computer??)Anyway, someone help me out :o Which is faster? DSL or CABLE?...(if only i had t3.. that would solve everything.. *sigh* :P)

wel, in belgium, they say the max cable speed to be around 6.6mbpsdsl should be able to get speeds up to 8mbps, but that'll cost you quite a lot too i thinknext to that, i think cable is still being limited because servers can't handle it. it apears to me that cable should be able to become faster as the signal travels faster... not sure though.one thing is for sure: if you live in a forgotten place, go for cable. dsl slows down the further you are away from the server

wel, in belgium, they say the max cable speed to be around 6.6mbps

dsl should be able to get speeds up to 8mbps, but that'll cost you quite a lot too i think

next to that, i think cable is still being limited because servers can't handle it.

it apears to me that cable should be able to become faster as the signal travels faster... not sure though.

one thing is for sure: if you live in a forgotten place, go for cable. dsl slows down the further you are away from the server

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We can get 10Mbps or 100Mbps Cable here which can be connected to a 100Mbps Fibre Optic network, but only available in Central Business District and well over most people's budget.

ADSL can reach speeds up to 8Mbps but it's not guaranteed to run at that rate, Wireless has similar speeds but is only good for downloading only.

Which is faster can not be said, if you opt for 2Mbit ADSL vs 2Mbit Cable, it should be the same, only limitations can be said by line condition, ISP, shared, your location, etc

Cheers,

MC

Wow, all this tech talk, and I was just going to express my personal experience! :o Ah well. From what I've seen (around my area) the most I ever squeezed out of my cable modem was 450kbps and that was from downloading Linux isos from multiple servers. At the same time, I hear people I know with DSL boasting 96kbps speeds, and I just chuckle inside my head... Then I laugh out loud :POf course, at the same time, I know a guy that is hooked into an OC3 internet connection, and when I ask him if he had an such and such 700 meg iso and he said "no"... 5 minutes later he'd say "ok, got it!" :P

OC3, *drool*

One:

Cable & DSL speeds depend on what your provider caps you on and what your modem can handle. My connection is capped at 6.6Mbit/s, meaning a max of 660Kb/s download speed. But my modem can handle 40Mbit/s (aka 4Mb/s download).

Two:

The server you're downloading from is the biggest factor. They most often have a speed limit as well; depending on how you use them; that can be 5kb/s, 20kb/s; 300kb/s; 1Mb/s; ......

If you have a connection that can go 660Kb/s, and the server you're downloading from can only send at 5Kb/s, then u can get a connection as fast and expensive as you want to, you won't download any faster...

Three:

Cable is a shared net, therefore, if your max speed is 660Kb/s, and you have lots and lots of people in your neighbourhood downloading at the same time; you will not be able to reach that maximum. Because the shared net is being saturated. There's actually a max limit for each Hub (the master of one small shared network of a cable distribution, you, your neighbours, and ppl living in your street/block, ..) and when alot of ppl download, you come too close to the max limit, so you can't download as fast anymore.

It totaly depends on the provider. Here in Belgium, we have two big isp's. One is cable and one is adsl/vdsl. Max speed for adsl is 8 mbps, but vdsl can handle 50 mbps, and will be available soon. Cable is now @10 mbps, but eurodocis 2 can change that too. Cable has other bad point, like the shared net as lhunath said and downlaod volume limitations.

Cable would probably be faster where i live because not many people would have it, however i would always get adsl ove cable because it's so much more reliable. I like to have a consistant speed all the time so i can better judge how long it will take to download thing etc.

this one is almost as debatable as windows vs. linux. cable is faster down, some dsl is faster up. so its really wut u want to use ur inet conn for. if u want to run a basic ftp server or any other server. dsl is good. but if u want fast internet speeds and d/l speeds. cable is the way to go... im talkin about real dsl too, not that crappy hickory tech and some others that come with phone service as well. :P

My father switched to cable because he was annoyed at the massive downtimes that our DSL provider had. I was getting annoyed too, because I'd be working on something critical and all of a sudden Firefox would just tell me the connection was refused. XPHere in Iowa, cable is much, much better than DSL. Too many people here have DSL.

LOL, it all depends on the subscription. Here in Holland (europe), we've got cable and Adsl at very different speeds, cable speed depends on the number of people in you neighbourhood having cable, ADSL, is independant of the number of users. At the moment, ADSL is more popular here than cable, because it's cheaper (about $ 15) AND the higher speeds for lower prices :P. I've got ADSL for about 10 months and i haven't had 1 downtime at all.

it depends on the provider..in Belgiumcable: 6.6 mbpsADSL: 3.3 mbps (can go to 8.0mbps with additional costs)+ they're thinking of upgrading to Vdsl so ...yeayalso the IDTV's are comming in the summer of 2005 (interactive tv)and since ADSL (in Belgium) is owned by the governement (Belgacom) i suggest stick to adsl so you will be able to get lots of benefits and additional channels once IDTV is out