xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DanThMan

Feedback On Some Of The Rules!

Short Posts (deleted): Posts that are under roughly 150 characters or less than about 25 words are considered to be pointless, and will be deleted. Routine maintenance will automatically delete such posts.

If I can make a perfectly good answer in one sentence or with just one link, this shouldn't be considered a short post nor be deleted.People then have to fill their post with something that wouldn't be necessary!

only contain a short message, such as "LOL", "thank you" or "hello".

Same as above on the thank you part. I really think short thank you'sshould be in order.

But whenever I confirm that someone has copied something from another site and posted here, at first sight, I only close/delete/disapprove the topic and send the person a PM.Do no Copy stuff. ( Strict actions would be taken ) It hardly takes seconds for us to know from where you have copied your tutorial. If we find that your have copied posts, we will take STRICT ACTIONS for voilating other's Copyright. Please Don't blame us for the consequences. You have been warned.

Sometimes when you have a problem, you'll put it up on several boards. Same thing
when you have a solution or have made a howto. Then you must be entitled to
share this. You should make this clear if you allow this or not

Just my two cents / cheers

I think I agree with most of that.

If they're looking for just one link, why not give them just one link.

And short thank yous are very good. Quick and to the point.

And although the three line rule is good when it comes to combating spam, quite often it makes spam, because people end up rambling on and adding extra line breaks when they don't need to, just as I am doing now.

I made the original rules, they did not include the guidelines for short posts nor did they include the copying rule. I don't know who added it but I don't think it was wrong to. If you do this with reason and justfully, you won't even be looked at. What we want to acheive with this is to prevent people like "pedro" and many others, who know nothing useful to say, to just start browsing the web, and copy/pasting whatever they like into a thread in this forum; as to increase their post count. This is unheard of and will at no cost be tolerated.Just like the fact that these kinds of people have a posts list consisting of the following types of posts:"tnk you", "thats very helpful tanks", "ive been lookin for that for ages, tnx!"Honestly, give me your opinion. We're all here trying to build a decent community, and now we're supposed to give away our resources of webhosting to fools like these? This way alot of interesting people will not be able to get hosted here; not to mention the increadible burden this lays upon the community (I find it most stressing and irritating to run into these kinds of crap posts).Don't worry; if your post is helpful and has a reason of being there; any; as long as it's pointful; we won't even bother frowning upon it. We're just trying to filter out the .. um well, you name em, I might be in danger of breaking the rule against foul speach. :PAs a side note, if you must copy paste something, or post a link, just explain a bit in ur own words what it's about, what you think about it; or what we can find after following the link. Not that hard is it? And it helps regular browsing habits of skimming a page alot.

I agree with lhunath.ONE LINERSWhile you might say, some posts ( one liners ) may convey your entire point, but in 95% cases, it is not possible. Most of the times, members are expected to explain the things while they post at the forums. But, as you can see, we have always stressed more upon the word MEANINGFUL. The post should be meaningful and must express your OPINION or POINT clearly. COPYING OF POSTSAs far as Copying of the post is concerned, the argument can go on and on... Because there is simply no way to prove openly that the user at that forum and the one posting here (at Xisto) are the same persons. And even if it does, we would still not allow it because, legally it still means copying. Xisto, however tries its level best to be on its safe side and all the posts remain copyrighted to their respective owners. We do not take responsibility about the content posted here at our forums.Besides, One more important point to be considered is that the RULES have been made so strict because most of the members do tend to spam just for getting Hosting. Unlike the other forums, many member at Xisto post just to aquire a hosting account. We have referred Xisto.com to many members who cannot post properly or who find it difficult to participate at the forum topics here at Xisto.Well, complaints can go on and on... Let me add a few more on which many people usually complain. The rule for staying active. ( applicable only for members who have a hosting account )It is quite possible that a member is inactive for some time due to some reasons. But most of the times, members take an advantage of this fact. Well, some might say, they met with an accident and then they might blame us for deleting their account or so. The common fact is, even if you had a paid hosting, then you would had propbably lost your hosting due to delayed payment or stuff. And If the data you are hosting is so important, I guess, Paid hosting is must for you. All we require is that you come to our forums periodically and Make a couple of posts which might help this forum and our community.Most of the times accounts are suspended and then after a week or so, they are terminated. We also give option for advertising supported hosting incase a member wishes to keep his account active without posting for a specific amount of time.Also, at Xisto we give out dedicated BW and we allow our members to access or upload anything ( provided it is legal ). At Xisto, huge files are not allowed and there are hosting restrictions which are imposed on every account. But here, none have been imposed. This is because, Xisto was made for those members who have a lot of knowlege and experience to contribute. We are ready to provide the tools you will need to get the best out of the web just for a small sincere contribution at the forums.

I agree with lhunath.

ONE LINERS

While you might say, some posts ( one liners ) may convey your entire point, but in 95% cases, it is not possible. Most of the times, members are expected to explain the things while they post at the forums.  But, as you can see, we have always stressed more upon the word MEANINGFUL. The post should be meaningful and must express your OPINION or POINT clearly.

COPYING OF POSTS

As far as Copying of the post is concerned, the argument can go on and on... Because there is simply no way to prove openly that the user at that  forum and the one posting here (at Xisto) are the same persons. And even if it does, we would still not allow it because, legally it still means copying. Xisto, however tries its level best to be on its safe side and all the posts remain copyrighted to their respective owners. We do not take responsibility about the content posted here at our forums.

Besides, One more important point to be considered is that the RULES have been made so strict because most of the members do tend to spam just for getting Hosting. Unlike the other forums, many member at Xisto post just to aquire a hosting account. We have referred Xisto.com to many members who cannot post properly or who find it difficult to participate at the forum topics here at Xisto.

Well, complaints can go on and on...  Let me add a few more on which many people usually complain. The rule for staying active. ( applicable only for members who have a hosting account )

It is quite possible that a member is inactive for some time due to some reasons. But most of the times, members take an advantage of this fact. Well, some might say, they met with an accident and then they might blame us for deleting their account or so. The common fact is, even if you had a paid hosting, then you would had propbably lost your hosting due to delayed payment or stuff. And If the data you are hosting is so important, I guess, Paid hosting is must for you. All we require is that you come to our forums periodically and Make a couple of posts which might help this forum and our community.

Most of the times accounts are suspended and then after a week or so, they are terminated.  We also give option for advertising supported hosting incase a member wishes to keep his account active without posting for a specific amount of time.

Also, at Xisto we give out dedicated BW and we allow our members to access or upload anything ( provided it is legal ).  At Xisto, huge files are not allowed and there are hosting restrictions which are imposed on every account. But here, none have been imposed. This is because, Xisto was made for those members who have a lot of knowlege and experience to contribute.  We are ready to provide the tools you will need to get the best out of the web just for a small sincere contribution at the forums.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I do understand the rules and I have every intention to follow them!

My first two questions was just ment to save your space.

I have no problem with adding more information to my posts!

My third question though, was if I were allowed to copy my own material

from elsewhere! Do you mean that for an example, other forums see my

articles as their to copyright? :P

i think they have to add another rules "plz avoid quoting long post"

hmm... about copyright articles in Xisto? is just simple as 1,2,3 you are not allowed to copy and paste from elsewhere even you have authorization, but according to admins if you write it from scratch based on those article (which is also a copyright violations) is legal here :P

about copyright violations when book publish it owns a copyright. and no one have an autority to copy anything from it except the author with it's permission. but what if the books copy some articles from the net? damn he is exempted in the copyright law :P

Sorry about the long quoting,

but storage doesn't seems to be a problem here :P

Anyway, I replied in a hurry!

Thank you r3d for sorting out the copyright issue, even if I think it's

really absurd that the forum owns my writing!

hmm... i don't see any copyright statements in this forum even © copyright by Xisto. it means that the forums doesn't own your post, you own it :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If that's the case, in theory I should be entitled to copy and paste it elsewhere!

For an example, I write a long question in one forum and don't get any answers.

I copy the question and paste it in another forum! Do I break any rules by doing so?

Another example, I've been writing this really good tutorial and wants to spread it

in several places! Do I offend anyone by doing so?

Just wants to make this crystalclear!

cheers

the way i view the copyright law(international) and your question, since you are the one who post or write it(in this forum), it means you own it and have the full authorization to copy and paste your post elsewhere. but kindly prevent copying the post of other member it's simply a violation of human rights(give some respect to your fellow member) :Pjust wondering what is PF 3 stands for? (see below) for your info it is a copyright, even without copyright statement it just explain that it have the right of this forum. and it means you can't copy the post of other members, except your own post :P

I think PF stands for Pre-Final or something similar to that.Here's other IPB naming:PDR - Public Devlopement ReleaseTechnically if you "create" something, it is your copyright.For example, my post about psychics and the big bang, is automatically copyright me, becuase I have "created" it.Also, in the terms and conditions, it doesn't say like, by posting blablabla here you are relinquishing your copyright on blablabla to Xisto pty. ltd. of 123 Fake Street, Columbia blablabla.So, even if they did suddenly decide to put that copyright sign on the bottom, my post would still be my copyright.Hope that clarifys copyright.

speaking of copyright, i've just been chatting to nintendo about super nintendo roms, and they told me that copyrights owned by corporations in the US last for 75 years

U.S. copyright laws state that copyrights owned by corporations are valid for 75 years from the date of first publication. Because video games have been around for less than three decades, the copyrights of all video games will not expire for many decades to come.

(above quote from http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp)