xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Microsoft Everyones views

I would put my input in, but I want to hear others, I want to hear the good, the bad the ugly.One thing for sure is MS are and always will be the corner cutters in programming, cutting corners is not good, yet they continuously do it and I don't know if people can stand up to this.This is based on their Search within text function, they decided to not include most the ascii (text) based file extensions due to the fact it slows the computer down, so it's a partial search functioning program that does less than 1/8th of the text type files, don't worry though, I could write a registry hack to fix it, but whether it'll bring computers to a crawl, I rather not test it out and prefer switching to something like grep for windows.Another thing would bring up, is integrating programs better than standalone programs? This doesn't neccessarily mean it going to be more bloated, it could even work out to be smaller. MS has good things, but they make it a problem when you got to do it their limited way.What are other people's views on them, and please keep them to actual facts, a lot of personal bias opinions can be said without thorough backup to facts.Cheers,MC

I haven't the time and patience to put down an entire speech, as I'm sure I could fill a book on the subject, but as to reply to some of your statements :

Integrated programs have the following disadvantages :

Bugs & Errors affect the system on a far larger scale.

When a folder window (Explorer) is open, you go to a network map; and you have to wait, it hangs, and you close it; the entire shell crashes.

Patching the things becomes harder, just like debugging

When you install a SP, you need to reboot the system; just like you do when you install drivers, or any programs that require a module to be loaded at startup.

Extending the whole becomes harder, and it's too closed

We can't replace Explorer with other things, we can't replace IE with other browsers, etc..

I'm sure I could list many more :P