xisto Community
OpaQue

Google Dominance Is Google getting too big?

I used to like google as my search engine. Because it gives me more accurate results that other search egnines but now some URL's are dead link, displays results from other search engine and it sometimes return bad results.

I find that Google returns very relevant web pages almost every search, although Yahoo!'s directory is better. It's great that Google is forcing Yahoo! and MSN to shape up. Even Bill Gates once spoke of Google while talking about Longhorn, saying -- I believe thi is the exact quote -- "They kicked our butts."It's good that Google is soaring, but they should not dominate. There should be more companies like Google so people have a choice and not have to choose between one huge, superior vompany and many small, inferior companies.

in my opinion...if a company was intelligent enough to overrun other companies...why not let them? They obviously earned it. If they did not do something terribly wrong why limit their authority? That is of course, just my opinion.

in my opinion...if a company was intelligent enough to overrun other companies...why not let them? They obviously earned it. If they did not do something terribly wrong why limit their authority? That is of course, just my opinion.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's like saying Microsoft is better because Windows is used so widely. As you probably know, some people will disagree and go with a Mac OS or Linux. Maybe you should say, "Some companies are successful because they cater to a large amount of people, but sometimes companies are successful because they deal with people who have other interests.

That's like saying Microsoft is better because Windows is used so widely. As you probably know, some people will disagree and go with a Mac OS or Linux. Maybe you should say, "Some companies are successful because they cater to a large amount of people, but sometimes companies are successful because they deal with people who have other interests.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually in that post Chronic Loser had clarified that "if they did not do something terribly wrong". That of course excludes Microsoft from the running as they've done tonnes of "terribly wrong" things. Actually I disagree with both of you. Companies are not successful because they have completed what you deem to be an impressive feat, they are successful because they have completed their own goals which they have previously set.

the problem is that in the computer market, once you have a dominant hand, you have an easier time holding on than others have in assailing your position. Why? because of lock in. For instance, if you think that linux, as an OS, is better than windows(and for the sake of argument, pretend that this is true whatever your actual view), then you would want to switch. However, as the dominant OS, all software is written primarily for windows, making it hard to switch to the better underlying OS that is linux(or, mac for that matter).Thus, software ALWAYS heads towards a monopoly, or at best an sort of plutocracy. The answer to this is to make all API's be required by law to be open(as in no cost/license) and fully documented as well as standardized.

Dominance like Google is bound to happen whenever a company comes out with a product that blows all of the other products on the market away. The problem is whenever they get out front and let quality slide. Other companies will eventually catch up and make competition for Google giving everyone more choices in web searches.

I used to use Google as a search engine, but I find that it often gives random and not so relevant search results back. I now use Teoma with subject specific popularity and I find it gives more relevant search results. Also, its supporting a less used search engine. I am however impressed by Google's GMail, which in a short period has become the best webmail available and is better than MSN or Yahoo. Google does do a lot things well but I think their websearch dominance will go down.

I believe that google has the right to expand over the internet as much as they want. So far, there are no laws agansed monoploy-like companies on the internet, at least that I know of. The people at google have put their time and effort into their services, most of which they recieve no profit from. I agree that monopolies are wrong, but those companies are all about the money. When you search google, you are not paying for that service, and not making google any money. This is just my opinion

D.amn it ,,, plz ppl , whoever whines or b!tches about GOOGLE .. take the right side and the others on the left side . if all websites / companies are like google , the internet would have been a 10000000000000X better place .... and that guy saying yahoo.com is better than google . friend just compare both websites , in terms of SPEED / FEATURES / ADDS .of course yahoo got an extra PUBLIC webmail + messenger but thats only to get more money with the TONS of adds they place everywhere . the only paid service in Google is the GOOGLE question and answer thing which is original and unique .if google made an IM ( GOOGLE MESSENGER ) I will be MORE THAN happy to drop that stupid MSN piece of **** and switch rightaway ! shadaap ! :)