xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
spacewaste1405241471

ftp how do you make your puter ftp enabled

hi, I was wondering if anybody knew how to make it so your computer can be ftp enabled....andf when I say that I mean what would I have to do to make it so people could access certain files on my computer to download via ftp. And event aking this question tot he next level how could I make my computer host a website from home? any takers on this question

Install an FTPd (FTP Deamon). There are plenty available, just search for it on download.com or on google. I use BulletProof FTP. Find it one of the best since it's very configurable. You'll need to specify a port (default: 21), make sure your ISP doesn't block ports below 1024 inbound. If they do, you'll need to use a port above that, like me, I use 21000. :/

For HTTPd I'd advice Apache.

Edit: By the way, same story, make sure your ISP/Firewall doesn't block 80 inbound!

Good Luck!

Install an FTPd (FTP Deamon). There are plenty available, just search for it on download.com or on google. I use BulletProof FTP. Find it one of the best since it's very configurable. You'll need to specify a port (default: 21), make sure your ISP doesn't block ports below 1024 inbound. If they do, you'll need to use a port above that, like me, I use 21000. :/

For HTTPd I'd advice Apache.

Edit: By the way, same story, make sure your ISP/Firewall doesn't block 80 inbound!

Good Luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

\

kk thnx make I'll get right on that and are there any other ones for httpd other then apache?

\

kk thnx make I'll get right on that and are there any other ones for httpd other then apache?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

yes.. MS IIS... which is more buggy.... more expensive (apache is free) and MS IIS will only run on MS windows.

plus if you run IIS, you are just asking to be hacked ! my server long show 20 MS specific hack attempts for every nother kind of hack attempt.

as for controlling what users can access what files... well that depends who the ftp users login as.

they willl be able to access all the files owned by them in there home directory.

if you allow annonymous loggins, then the files they can access will be in a folder specified by the config files.

i would recomend vsftpd (very secure ftp daemon) but BulletProof is great too. there all quite similar. just make sure you google for your ftpd and version number for possible security explaoits. and always make sure you are running the latest version.

yes.. MS IIS... which is more buggy.... more expensive (apache is free) and MS IIS will only run on MS windows.

plus if you run IIS, you are just asking to be hacked ! my server long show 20 MS specific hack attempts for every nother kind of hack attempt.

as for controlling what users can access what files... well that depends who the ftp users login as.

they willl be able to access all the files owned by them in there home directory.

if you allow annonymous loggins, then the files they can access will be in a folder specified by the config files.

i would recomend vsftpd (very secure ftp daemon) but BulletProof is great too. there all quite similar. just make sure you google for your ftpd and version number for possible security explaoits. and always make sure you are running the latest version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

thnx that's very helpfull, I'm thinking of trying out hosting a website from ym computer or just the chatroom part since i can't seem to get my chatrooms working on Xisto :) or for now atleast. but I looked through ftps and I suggest using fastream netfile ftp/web sever gui its working great for me :)