xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
illusion

Linux/Gnu

hmmmI am a friend of Gnu/Linux itself. I like the concept of Gnu/Linux, but as I have used Linux for a long time I have noticed that the hardware support is not the best. You can read which hardware is supported, but this is not the best way because if your printer e.g is claimed to be supported by cups on their website, it's not ensured that this printer is really supported. I had so many printers, which should run with cups (only an example) and at the end these printers then print pure crap . Another example are graphic adapters...I have 3 different cards and every standard distribution only has generic drivers for my card (nv) and if the normal user does not realize this, the user would claim that his machine runs slowly. In fact he only has the bad driver installed. I know people, who leave linux for exactly such reasons... I think printers are very important to keep new users under Linux...but if new users need to test some days only to get their printer working, I think there is something wrong. For the server I think Linux is a good solution. PHP, PostgreSQL, Apache etc...are great applications, which are easy to use....I have nothing to complain about Linux in servers ... Though the Gnu/Linux offers so many great tools for the desktop (KDE; all the other WM's etc...), most of the computer user are using Windows instead. So what do you think so less people are using Gnu/Linux for their desktop ? Is it the driver/hardware support ? Or do you think printer can be an important reason? Oh, I did not have games in mind...do you think so many people are gamer, so that they better use windows? It would be nice if you would comment this

if you wanna play games, get a games console :)anyways.. the fact that linux does nto support 100% or hardware is a mixed blessing.Alone, with no outside software, the Linux kernel supports much much much more hardware than the windows kernel alone. the difference, is that hardware manufacturers also make windows drivers..so if windows doesnt have a driver for a device, the user can install a driver off a cd that comes with the device.the advantages of this are obviouse..... any uptodate hardware will work with any uptodate windows machine... but the down side is stability.... A Driver Written by a Kernel Porgrammer who has access to the kernel source code will always be more stable than a driver written by a hardware manufacturer with no access to windows source code.drivers have to run in kernel space with very high access rights.. any imperfect driver can bring down the whole system.not all BSODS are MS fault.. some are due to buggy drivers.so if a device works in linux (that needs a kernel driver) you can be sure its of a very high standard.

Why people are choosing windows?I think that there are many reasons.1. Games - people think that you can;t play games on linux. Some games have their lunux version's and there is many games that you can play under winex. 2. Hardware - linux is still not so popular and hardware sometimes don't have driver's for linux so people must wait for some not official drivers.3. Configuration - it's a myth. Linux is configured after installation and generally you don't have to chcnge many things. After installing linux I have allmost all useful applications installed and after installing windows I must spend much time to install all this stuff.4. People don;t know what linux really is. If they even heard about it they think that it's very hard in using. Besides when someone is buying new comp. there is windows installed in most cases..