xisto Community
wannabeeaweak

how do u make menu? dynamic menu

What kind of menu do you want? Just a plain text menu would be like this:

example:

<a href="home.html">Home</a><a href="news.html">News</a><a href="downloads.html">Downloads</a>

If you want a vertical menu you could just put a "<br />" after every "</a>" or alternativly you can use a table which would look like this:
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100" height="1"><tr><td><a href="home.html">Home</a></td></tr><tr><td><a href="news.html">News</a></td></tr><tr><td><a href="downloads.html">Downloads</a></td></tr></table>

If you want an animated menu you could use Javascript as previously mentioned or you could mix that with DHTML (Dynamic HyperText Markup Language)

I want to asl if client disable javascript, what will happened to the javascript menu bar??some of them from other site did it really good, but javascript waste cpu quite a lot, also, unsafe, because client is able to disable them. . .so I don't use javascript at all, use server scripts must be better then client. . .

If you want, just a menu, you could use the tables.You might consider writing small javascripts for them to make them look like buttons with rollovers, background colours et all. For complex menus and eye catchy ones, you'll need All Web Menus Pro, a software which creates menus for you that are very eye catchy and beautiful. But the menu thus generated is pretty big in size !!Choose your way.

Word of caution with fancy menus - don't get too complicated - i know its stating the obvious but remember the purpose of the menu is actually to provide links to other pages on your site, not to show off your skills as a programmer. Using a flash menu is fine, but don't make it more complex than necessary.

Since we're on the subject of menus, I have a question of my own. Is there some way I create a menu that could be saved as some type of file, so all I have to do is link my sites to my menu? One of the problems I constantly run into, is that I'm adding or taking away from my site, and its a pain to go back through all my pages and change the menus. If there was some way I could just link to a premade menu, and edit that, it would save me quite a bit of time...

For "external file" menu, people usually use JavaScript or Macromedia Flash.However, I personally prefer the uses of Dynamic Layers in Macromedia Dreamweaver. Yes, I'm using the "show-hide layer" feature to do it. :P