xisto Community
k221405241470

Someone from the Sun? Solaris OS family

Have you ever tried Solaris 9 or other Os of this family?  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've use Solaris 9 on X86 platform and i think that nobody does a best work than Sun Microsystem: Stabe, Fast, Secure the only problem was my Net Card and the hardware in general, it's very difficult to configure it :)

Am I wrong or is there a Solaris 10?? I heard about that a long time ago...Anyway, my friend has a AMD Opteron home-server with Solaris 8 installed and it sucks in my opinion. Its very hard to work with. Its okay as a server but I definately don't see myself or anyone using it for their home use...Besides, I just hate Sun Microsystems :) so maybe my opinion is negative about Solaris because of that...the only thing I like about them is Java...

https://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html

Nope, solaris 10 is finished, released, and available for free.

I use solais 9 almost every day in one way or anouther.

depending on what mood im in, somtimes i use KDE on linux, and ssh into Solaris.

and sometimes i run a full graphical login to solais with IceWM running on a local Linux machine.

Our university has a dozen Solaris Servers, and Linux terminals for remote logins.

Also eXceed running on windowsXP for remote iceWM X logins.

I've used Solaris 10. I absolutely love it, but I'm mainly a Slack user now, just cause it seems to let me "grab the computer by the throat" a bit easier..and I could never get c64 or amiga emulation running properly on Solaris, which is a real shame. But slack has always treated me great, and it's what I learned on, so I'm in a bit of a disposition.

New generation...well, it's a new release, but not exactly a new generation. And I don't see why you need to wait for it, it was released in early 2005/late 2004 I believe. Nothing to wait for.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Any information regarding Solaris 10 can easily be found at https://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html

Before I "retired" I worked as Unix Systems Administrator using Solaris 95% of my job with other on the Windows side. I thoroughly enjoyed learning and working with Unix and Sun Microsystems servers. It helped me get some killer paying jobs for start ups as a Unix Technical Support Engineer. I worked at two of DataCenter headquarters working the 3rd shift (7PM-7AM). It has been 3 years almost and boy, you sure forget a lot. I am very rusty but if I were to immerse myself back into Unix, it would all come back.

Heheh. Solaris 10 goes a long way towards improving Solaris as a personal operating system, but it still comes nowhere close to the level of the best Linux distros on x86. If you have a SPARC system, though, Solaris is still the way to go.

The weak thing about Solaris still is the hardware comatibility. Many hardware is not supported, and it's no fun to run it in 640 x 480 screen resolution. All operating systems should have a hardware detection and driver library like Windows has.

Well, depending on what you call the "best" Linux distros. I assume you mean Slackware. :(Actually, my experiences with Solaris on x86 hardware (as a personal operating system) were quite good, I found it to do everything I ever wanted to do, except when it came to compiling source code, I always ran into quite a few errors, and as a result, no compiling VICE on Solaris, and that was enough to make me go back to Slack. Now I'm on OpenBSD, I still haven't gotten my sound to work, but that's okay. I built another computer completely dedicated to Commodore emulation. It's nice to see more posting in here lately, i must say.

I was spoiled using SOLAAIS because we use Sun Microsystems hardware, ie., Sparc 5's, 10's, 20's and the 450 serviers, etc., and our programmers did not have problems compiling as long as their code was good. There are quiet a few compilers out there but since $$$'s was really never an issue in our group, we brougth the best and/or also used the free GNU compliters and they all seemed to work when proplerly configured.

Sun makes very good stuff, although, I would have much rather run Solaris on an Ultra-2 than an x86. When a company's OS is also run on their own hardware, it can be a beautiful thing. Unless they surprise you with "oh, we're going to ditch superior technology in favour of the crappy Intel hardware!"Can't you tell I've lost respect for Apple?I'm hoping IBM does something in the desktop scene with their Cell processor...the x86 is a dead horse which has been beaten enough, and should be buried.

Any information regarding Solaris 10 can easily be found at https://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html https://m''>https://m'>https://www.oracle.com/sun/index.html https://m

Before I "retired" I worked as Unix Systems Administrator using Solaris 95% of my job with other on the Windows side. I thoroughly enjoyed learning and working with Unix and Sun Microsystems servers. It helped me get some killer paying jobs for start ups as a Unix Technical Support Engineer. I worked at two of DataCenter headquarters working the 3rd shift (7PM-7AM). It has been 3 years almost and boy, you sure forget a lot. I am very rusty but if I were to immerse myself back into Unix, it would all come back.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of education do you need for the jobs you got? How long do they take and at what cost? I'm interested in that kind of work. I can't stand my current jobs, and I use most of my spare time on computing anyway. Might as well be of some use. I just downloaded Solaris 10, and getting ready to install it. So far I'm a windows only user, and don't have any knowledge on coding/programming or networking for that matter. Just installed Linux Mandriva on one of my "lab rats" (low standard PC for experimental purposes) Anything to add before I dive into Solaris 10? Anyone?