xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CiaraRae

Transparency Transparency

Is it possible to make transparent windows? Like ones that are translucent and you can see both the window and the one underneth it though the one on top? I thought I heard something about that and I thought it would be cool do like a ghost alert that flashed a few times with a mouse over... If you have info... It'd be appreciated :) thanks. :):P:D

Is it possible to make transparent windows? Like ones that are translucent and you can see both the window and the one underneth it though the one on top? I thought I heard something about that and I thought it would be cool do like a ghost alert that flashed a few times with a mouse over...

If you have info... It'd be appreciated :) thanks. :):P:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've seens windows like that. Never bothered to check the source.

Yes !

i posted a minni tutorial on the site !

basically you need to update to the latest version of Xorg, and tweak the config file.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/448-topic/?showtopic=448

it reeealy is an amasing feature ! looks great !

Yes !

i posted a minni tutorial on the site !

basically you need to update to the latest version of Xorg, and tweak the config file.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/448-topic/?showtopic=448

it reeealy is an amasing feature ! looks great !

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Your tutorial deals with transparent wndows in X11 (correct me if I'm worng). And I think "KyoNiwa" is asking for tranparent frame on the web. Which he can use with mouse over functions.

Your tutorial deals with transparent wndows in X11 (correct me if I'm worng). And I think "KyoNiwa" is asking for tranparent frame on the web. Which he can use with mouse over functions.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ohh right !

yeah functionality like that has to be supported by the Operating system.... Currently, Only Unix BSD and Linux support this... (plus any other OS's which use Xorg)

you may have to wait anouther decode for MS windows to catch up :)

Ohh right !

yeah functionality like that has to be supported by the Operating system.... Currently, Only Unix BSD and Linux support this... (plus any other OS's which use Xorg)

you may have to wait anouther decode for MS windows to catch up :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah... I have a Mac OS X and IE and Safari browsers.... lol is it possible to do transparent windows on the web? It doesnt matter if it's an alert or a window anymore lol.... i would just like a transparent something lol... not to sound desperate or anything lol.

Yeah... I have a Mac OS X and IE and Safari browsers.... lol is it possible to do transparent windows on the web? It doesnt matter if it's an alert or a window anymore lol.... i would just like a transparent something lol... not to sound desperate or anything lol.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

only possiblee if you have xorg-6.8 installed... im not familiar with Mac-OXS, but i know its a BSD based system.. try it maybe.. https://www.x.org/wiki/

Is it possible to make transparent windows? Like ones that are translucent and you can see both the window and the one underneth it though the one on top? I thought I heard something about that and I thought it would be cool do like a ghost alert that flashed a few times with a mouse over...

If you have info... It'd be appreciated :) thanks. :):P:D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To answer your question:

There is only one way to make translucent things on the web, and that's by using 24bit PNGs as background. Works perfectly, as long as the browser of the person that comes on your site supports this.

Browser support includes Opera & Firefox (Mozilla) but Internet Explorer does not support this.

As IE is the most used browser, this is a huge letdown. There are, nevertheless, ways to get around this. And this is by using the invalid CSS filter (invented by microsoft against the rules of the W3C) to apply a DirectX filter which allows for PNG support. There are, nevertheless, issues with this, because, anything within that translucent window, becomes unclickable. So links inside it will not be clickable etc..

If you're interested, Dean Edwards' IE7 Patch, to bring Internet Explorer a bit up to standards, has all this included and it all does it automatically for you.

hmm, I'm really surprised no one mentioned this: the opacity filter in the div. Simply stick

style="Filter: Alpha(Opacity=30)"

into the div tag and everything inside it will be only 30% opacity. It's as easy as that. No programs or anything....just simple css coding ^_^