xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
qwijibow

How does this host stand up againsed the slashdot the slashdot or b3ta.com type traffic ?

Sometimes, pages on my site have been known to apeare on B3ta.com's front page and newsletters... (once it was on there for a whole month)and while im bosting.... i know a guy who knows Weeble.... and im told he loves the video's on my site. !anyways.....lets say the webpage in question is 300kb... and it is on the frontpage of b3ta.com for a month... or maybe slashdot for a few minutes...How will my free account (when i request it) stand up to this kind of abuse ?any predictions ?

You are given 2 GB bandwidth with the standard pack and 500 MB bandwidth with the starter's pack.

The following estimates apply only if each hit or visit eats up 10 KB;-

1. Starter's Pack:

With the starter pack you will be able to withstand about 50000 hits or visits. This does not include bandwidth eaten by pageviews.

2. Standard Pack:

With the standard pack your website will be able to successfully endure 200000 hits and seamlessly cater content to viewers. Again this doesn not include bandwidth used up by pageviews.

Hope these figures help...

Bandwidth does not matter as much as how well the servers stand up to the traffic. It all depends on how many users the server can support to how many people are trying to access the site at the same time. So if there are more users than the number the server can support the server will probably go down. So if a website is hosted on a good server and it has limited bandwidth the worse that can happen is that the bandwidth will run out. Then the website will not be shown anymore. This is totally different than the server crashing due to the amount of traffic coming in.

Bandwidth does not matter as much as how well the servers stand up to the traffic. It all depends on how many users the server can support to how many people are trying to access the site at the same time. So if there are more users than the number the server can support the server will probably go down. So if a website is hosted on a good server and it has limited bandwidth the worse that can happen is that the bandwidth will run out. Then the website will not be shown anymore. This is totally different than the server crashing due to the amount of traffic coming in.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep... 2 GB of bandwidth a month is fine.... but what if slashdotters try usng all that bandwitch in 2 minutes.

i assume a kind of accidental DDOS attack would occur.