xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
deivid1405241470

Microsoft's security program manager... use firefox ????

In interview Stephen Toulouse Microsoft's security program manager, he was caughted using firefox :), maybe ie really sucks, themselves not dare to use it... and beside it have 102012923239231 security holes...

Meanwhile, Firefox and Opera look awfully appealing.

Security is really an industry-wide problem. Just this morning I had to install an update to Firefox to block a flaw that would've allowed an attacker to run a program on my system.

https://www.wired.com/2004/09/microsofts-war-on-bugs/

lol, ie must have many security flaws if microsoft's security manager doesn't use it. Soon, when firefox gets popular, people are gonna discover flaws. But it's open source it might be harder to find flaws.

lol, ie must have many security flaws if microsoft's security manager doesn't use it. Soon, when firefox gets popular, people are gonna discover flaws. But it's open source it might be harder to find flaws.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

security flaws have been found.... the difference is as its open source, its usually fixed within a few hours of discovery... whereas flaws in Microsoft internet Explorer take anywhere from 6 moths to 2 years to fix..... (assuming they make a genuine effort to fix every flaw they find)

but be be fair.... some of the firefox vunrabilitys were due to the underlying OS..and were only exploitable on win32 systems :)

Well see thats the problem. Firefox is open source. If people start to use Firefox more than Internet Exploder... then hackers will exploit the source for FireFox and it will become a less appealing browser for users everywhere. Meh i'm sticking with IE... too hard to migrate to another browser though I do have Mozilla dusting on my laptop's hard drive

Well see thats the problem. Firefox is open source. If people start to use Firefox more than Internet Exploder... then hackers will exploit the source for FireFox and it will become a less appealing browser for users everywhere. Meh i'm sticking with IE... too hard to migrate to another browser though I do have Mozilla dusting on my laptop's hard drive

Actually, Internet Explorer isn't insecure just because of it's popularity:

Hackers will exploit the source for Firefox, but so what? If they create a newer insecure browser that was security holes in it or is to capture sensitive that, will anyone actually use it? And if vulnerabilities are found in the current Firefox browser, at least they can be patched up 50x faster than Internet Explorer.

As for migrating to Firefox/other browsers, it's not that hard. How hard can it be? Just install a fresh installation of Opera/Firefox/whatever browser and click Import settings from Microsoft Internet Explorer. You'll need to use IE for Microsoft Update, and some games, but otherwise you shouldn't have too much of a problem.