xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
almoo7

Deleted Data Recovery Emptying the recycle bin is useless...

For those of you who still doesn't know, emptying your recycle bin doesn't really mean that you have permanently erased the file. It just means that the file was marked deleted by the system and it will not be recognized anymore as a valid data, thus its value is blank. Same with formatting a drive, formatting means erasing all data in your hard drive but by all means, some physical data can still be recovered. If you have accidentally or someone has accidentally deleted your file, then you can find a software that can recover it. The one I use is a part of my TuneUp Utilities 2004 - TuneUp Undelete, it gives me a list of existing physical files in my hard drive that can still be recovered and it gives me information if that file is in good condition or not. Your data can be used against you as evidence because softwares such as TuneUp Undelete exists, for this, TuneUp has another application that deletes file permanently from your drive - TuneUp Shredder. It uses the Department of Defense's 5220.5M format of secure deletion, you can also choose to delete the allocated free space assigned to the file. Well, there are always many other good softwares there in the net that can offer good file recovery, try searching in google. :)

If you want to delete a file for good there is software that deletes and writes over the spot on your hard drive several times to ensure it is unretreival. here is a link to one, I have never used it but I am confident it is as good as any out.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It is written by analogx, he is well known for his great software (he has been on the zdtv/tech tv/g4techtv...)

Can you really erase a certain file forever from your pc? I mean so that no-one can ever on any way see that that certain file (e.g. containing your credit cart number) was on your computer?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

for the answer to this question,, see either Post 1, 2 or 3 on this thread.

I don't understand this at all. I've deleted thousands of watched video files that amount to well over 100GB yet my harddrive is only 80GB and it says on the properties that it still has 20GB of memory left. How can those 100GB of deleted videos still be in existance?

I don't understand this at all. I've deleted thousands of watched video files that amount to well over 100GB yet my harddrive is only 80GB and it says on the properties that it still has 20GB of memory left. How can those 100GB of deleted videos still be in existance?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

imagine your hard drive as a very very very long list of ones and zero's that make up all your data.

the data needs to be structured with whats called a file system. think of a file system as the contents page in a book.

when you save a file, the computer writes the information to your hard drive, then makes a note of where that information is on the conents page (file system)

when you come to delete that file, the computer doesnt actually go through the file writing over all the ones and zero's. that would take too long !

so what it does, is remove mention on that file from the contents page.

and if the file is not in the contents page, the computer doesnt know where to find it, so it apears to be deleted.

however it IS possible to search the disk with porgrams like the ones mentioned here, and write that file back into the contents page.

however.. while this file is not in the contents page, the computer teats it as free space on the hard drive, so eventually the file will be written over.