xisto Community
soleimanian

Renaming collection of Pictures (files)!

Renaming collection of Pictures (files)!1- first select your pictures2- right click on first picture and select rename3- type your name4- press Shift and click on the free space between first and second Picture5- see result !

What is supposed to happen? I could definately use a fast way of renaming large groups of files as I do it ALL THE TIME! Nothing happened for me. Also, you should probably better define "the free space between the first and second picture." I'm not sure what you are talking about with that.

just select all the pictures you want to rename, then hit "F2" (rename shorcut key), then type the filename e.g. "template", the file extensions i.e. ".gif, .jpg" whouldn't be rename and all the file will be rename from template.jpg to template (9).jpg for 10 files --> windows xp sp2 :)

Nice little freeware program for doing that->

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It's nice for the audiobooks I get with the "<really long site name> - <book title> - 1of14"

I can replace the site name with a blank, and change it to just "<book title> - 1 of 14" Posted Image

So if you have those digital camera pictures or whatnot with filenames like J00001.jpg, J000002.jpg... you can get rid of the "J000" and have 01.jpg, 02.jpg...etc

Ah, that's good to know although it's not exactly what I'm looking for. What does that freeware program do? It doesn't seem to have any of it's pages filled in yet on it's website. I'd like to have something that will eliminate all the tedius clicking to rename a ton of files (with unique names).

Unless I'm not following the instruction properly, this doesn't work in Windows XP.The only time I can think of when windows appends (2) and so on to files are when you make a copy of it and paste it in the directory which contains the file that you are copying. It would then say "Copy of filename (2)" and so on.In Linux, you can write a simple bash script to do this, I've had to do it before to rename a bunch of PHP and PNG files. Google around to find it.But as for Windows, I don't think there is anything that allows you to do this unless it is third-party software.

I have Windows XP SP2 but I think with all updates, it could have even been SP3, but anyway, I just selected lots of pictures and pressed the shift Key and from the menu selected Rename, it only let me rename one top file, but when I did rename it, it did as it needed, all the files I've selected were renamed with the same name, only that the pictures were added with (1),(2),..(n) names.. It's the default for XP I guess, but I don't like this method, I remember I used a light program which could rename lots of files and with directories the way I wanted, it even had regular expressions, it really was a wonderful program, but I can't remember how it was called, it's freeware, it could be that it's called something like "rename, multiple rename tool" something with rename ;) and I clean my music collection with it by name, for mp3 files it could even read or edit meta data ;)

Renaming collection of Pictures (files)!1- first select your pictures
2- right click on first picture and select rename
3- type your name
4- press Shift and click on the free space between first and second Picture
5- see result !

It worked for me. I don't really like the way the files are named : file(1).jpg, file(2).jpg because I don't love parenthesis inside a name, but it's OK for wiewing pictures with the Windows image viewer.

I tried this and it works. What I did was create a test folder and create some empty files within the folder with random extensions (eg. .txt, .ods, odg). It doesn't matter what the previous file names are or their extensions. Then you highlight (select) all the files you want to rename. Now click the File menu and select rename or press the [F2] button (explorer shortcut). It will rename all selected files leaving the file extensions intact. How the explorer chooses to rename the files depends on how they are sorted in the explorer. If you right-click a file while they are selected and select Rename, that file will be the first named in the list, the others are all named sequentially.This is useful if you'd like send/ some files/photos to a client and you are in a hurry ;)** Edit -- You don't need to do any kind of Shift or shift click between of anything. The only time the shift would apply is if you prefer to use that method to select a range of files.

Edited by levimage (see edit history)

Im not really sure how I rename a large group of pictures. If I can I try to make similar groups and then maybe number them, too. I usually seem to let a lot of it alone unless like making webpages... Then I definately try to make them into other catagories. I thik I would try that little follow through, but I don't have anything to try to rename. But it is good to know it works, in case I do it later.

I have to rename large sets of files because of one of my digital photo camera.On sophisticated cameras, the picture names are continuous, that means after picture12.jpg, the next one is renamed picture13.jpg.If you move all your files to disks, the directory is empty, but the next picture will be named picture14.jpgOn low-cost cameras, when the folder is empty, the first picture is named picture1.jpg.If you want to move it on the hard disk of your PC, the answer is "picture1.jpg already exists, do you want to replace it ?"And if you click "yes", you replace you girlfriend picture by your dog picture, which was not what you wanted.That's why we need a fast way for renaming all the files in a folder, before moving them to another disk or before sending them to somebody.