xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
currahee

Laptop Slowing Down? Heres one method that can work

I noticed this earlier last year. My laptop was slowing down and it was getting really hot. It was so bad that it overheated and stopped working for periods of time.Well maybe it might happen to you laptop users. Take a look on your CPU fan vent on your laptop (underneath). Spot lots of dust? Get an air can and dust it out! All sides of the vent.Dust will cause heat to build more rapidly in the CPU in laptops. Since the CPU is mobile and since its getting hot fast it will work with the powersave in mind, lowering even more performance.After I got my laptop cleaned, it performed roughly 4X faster.Hope this helps you users! :)

wow that's cool! I didn't know that removing dust could potentially improve my laptop's performance. I have noticed a bit of a slow down in my laptop performance, and there is definitely a lot less battery life (although that is more contributed to the normal degeneration of a battery over its lifespan I suppose).

Well... it would dramatically improve performance when the condition is bad or severe. Though if you want you can wait until it gets really clogged up and then dust it out and see the performance gain. Your fan will also work less frequently when you clean the dust off.

my laptop has same problem , it become hot and slower and fun always work, :) , when it become hoter , laptop will shutdown, :) , that is a good/easy way to solve this problem, but I don't think it can promote 4x faster, I will try you way.

The problem i see was that when I played Medal of Honor Allied Assault the frame rates were dipping below 15fps on 800x600x16 med details. Didn't happen before. I cleaned it out and then itwas at 40-50fps. Not exaclt 4x increase but close enough to make it worth cleaning out. :)

wow that's cool! I didn't know that removing dust could potentially improve my laptop's performance. I have noticed a bit of a slow down in my laptop performance, and there is definitely a lot less battery life (although that is more contributed to the normal degeneration of a battery over its lifespan I suppose).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My compter is kind of slowing down. Like when I type it's delayed and things. And the battery life is less than what it was before.Is it true that if leave the computer with the charger then it will over charge the battery it will start burning out?

I think batteries have a built in protection from overcharging, but it's still not a good idea to leave them plugged in for long periods of time.

From the site: http://www.dcbattery.com/faq.html

Unfortunately, these automatic circuits are sensitive to voltage surges, heat, direct lightening strikes and indirect lightening electromagnetic influences and could fail or shift their calibration. When they fail, overcharging begins to effect the batteries.

Look for the question about "overcharging" for more information.

Its impossible to 'overcharge' a battery I guess... well it would be but it would be rare unless you were using a third party battery that was not approved for your laptop.Batteries have normal degredation over time. They do not hold the same charge every single time. Its also bad practice to charge, empty, charge, empty repeatedly with the battery. I did that about 35 times and now my battery capacity is 50% of the original!If you want to store your battery it will live longer if you make it hold a 40% charge... but don't deplete it

That's awesome! I will go look under my laptop as soon as I find my air-blowing-contraption. Yeah... sometimes I notice the laptop lagging.Sometimes the lagging is due to adware/spyware loading on my comp. I just ctrl+alt+del and see what's taking up the cpu, then stop the process if it seems fishy....lol.Again, thanks for the tip!

I noticed this earlier last year. My laptop was slowing down and it was getting really hot. It was so bad that it overheated and stopped working for periods of time.

Well maybe it might happen to you laptop users. Take a look on your CPU fan vent on your laptop (underneath). Spot lots of dust? Get an air can and dust it out! All sides of the vent.

Dust will cause heat to build more rapidly in the CPU in laptops. Since the CPU is mobile and since its getting hot fast it will work with the powersave in mind, lowering even more performance.

After I got my laptop cleaned, it performed roughly 4X faster.

Hope this helps you users! :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

x4 faster ? Your laptop should have lots of dust clogging and therefore it was overheated. I speed up my laptop by adding extra memory. Most laptop come with few Ram and by just simply adding more RAM. Changing to a faster hard drive should help. I think the highest laptop hard drive speed is 7200 rpm. Most laptop hd speed is 5400 rpm

Dusting out the fan vent always helps a whole bunch. In fact, I actually carry out this operation once a month, but with a vaccum cleaner, since sourcing air cans are a bit of an up-hill task. since I'm in a dusty area, there's a considerable amount of dust that piles up in the vent. attaching the nozzle head meant for cornors is just right for creating enough of vaccum pressure within a focussed area, so that the vent is covered from one side and draws on the fan unit. Do remember to keep the computer switched off when doing something like this (if you try it) because it may just damage the fan if the vaccum is drawing in the opposite direction to the Laptop vent fan.

It's the simple things that we overlook :unsure: I actually need to do this myself. I opened up my laptop a few times already and do see lots of dust bunnies building up there :DSpyware and viruses may cause these problems, but I have seen one too many cases where it's not anymore...Now it's usually some overheating issue or users are just having too many programs running at startup. Disabling all those startup programs will help tremendously.@nathan2004: I did the same thing. Upgraded my 256MB RAM over time to have 768MB now. Also upgraded 30GB 4200RPM hard drive to a 60GB one...

That is great. Thanks alot for the advicce~!!! I didn't know that removing dust from the external and internal parts could help computer performance! Thanks again for sharing! Great advice.-Kyle

Damn, I wish I had read this earlier, I reinstalled XP and threw out everything as my XPS with 3.4 gig P4 Processor not the lazy M processor with 1 gb ram took about 5 min to load ! Even linux took about the same amount of time, it still did after reinstall of both OS. So I was thinkin it was some kinda fradulent scheme by Dell to make us buy new PC's. I was also thinkin in the lines of CMOS virus, but this helped a lot thanks. I'm not sure if cleaning will fix the problem, but I sure do pray for it.Thanks,Warm Regards,RGM

I have latitude D800 I connected ok charger PA10 and pA12 family but not charging ok battery (type 8N544 ) I chaked mainboard part no l20,pd58(m05) it is ok still the laptop is not charging now what I am doing for this problem help me for this problem THANKS-NVAEED