xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
suicide1405241470

New to java

I read several articals about java programming before downloading j2sdk1.4.2_05 to C directory. I wrote Hello World on wordpad and saved the program as HelloWorlApp.java. But when I tried to compile itI got this message " javac is not recognized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file". Please help what am i doing wrong?Thank you

I read several articals about java programming before downloading j2sdk1.4.2_05 to C directory.

I wrote Hello World on wordpad and saved the program as HelloWorlApp.java. But when I tried to compile it

I got this message " javac is not recognized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file".

Please help what am i doing wrong?

Thank you

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

from the way you call it a C drive i assume you are using MS windows ?

sounds to me like one of 2 things....

1: you downloaded the installer, but didnt actually run it / install it

2:you installed it, but its not in your path variable...

if its number 2 you need to add it to your PATH variable, if you are using older windows versions, this is done in autoexec.bat, new ones its in the system controll panel.

OR, you can cd into the bin directory of where you installed java, and to your compiling from that directory.

if its number one..... Double click it :)

I'm new to java too, and here's what I did to get it going on my comp:

Download the freeware compiler JCreator->
http://www.jcreator.com/

Go to the official Java site, and get the "JDK"->
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/index.html

(Click download under JDK, which is to the right of "32-bit/64-bit for Windows/Linux/Solaris SPARC
32-bit for Solaris x86 ")
Accept the license agreement.

Select "Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language (jdk-1_5_0-rc-windows-i586.exe, 43.85 MB)"

Install the file that downloads.

[edit]Ok, now I remember :)

Run JCreator, and go to Configure->Options

Click JDK Profiles, and if there is something there, delete it, or otherwise select New

Browse to C:\program files\Java\jdk1.5.0

A new window will pop up with a listing off all the directories used by java, just hit OK

Hit OK again and you're ready to make Java programs :)

suicide wrote:I read several articals about java programming before downloading j2sdk1.4.2_05 to C directory. I wrote Hello World on wordpad and saved the program as HelloWorlApp.java. But when I tried to compile itI got this message " javac is not recognized as an internal or external comand, operable program or batch file". Please help what am i doing wrong?Thank you[if you have read some articles than You should know about setting JAVA_HOME(points to java main catalog) variable ,and adding to variable PATH %JAVA_HOME%/bin.If you do this, then your command line will see javac compiler