xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrc

PNG

The PNG formatThe third, and newest, file format that's widely supported by the Web is PNG (pronounced Ping). PNG was developed to surpass the limitations of GIFs, and as a means by which developers can avoid having to worry about the patent licenses associated with other formats. PNG was designed to offer the main features of the GIF format, including streaming and progressive file formats. It also provides greater depth of color, catering to images up to 24 bit in color.It's expected that support for PNG will be widespread in the near future.

The PNG format more often than not compresses better than the GIF format. PNG also supports alpha transparency. GIF only supports index transparency. Alpha transparency is useful because it allows varying levels of transparency, allowing images to be more or less opaque.Mozilla Firefox has full PNG support, but Internet Explorer only supports PNG's index transparency. Internet Explorer 7 will supposedly have full PNG support when it comes out.

someone told me a while back that some free webhosting services do not allow the .PNG format. Does anyone know if this is true, i think that Xisto does, as i see no reason for hosts free or otherwise to not allow the .PNG format. many many people that i know are using this format more and more, i think it is excellent :).

Developed as a patent-free alternative to GIF, Portable Network Graphics (PNG) format is used for lossless compression and for display of images on the Web. Unlike GIF, PNG supports 24-bit images and produces background transparency without jagged edges; however, some Web browsers do not support PNG images. PNG format supports RGB, indexed-color, grayscale, and Bitmap-mode images without alpha channels. PNG preserves transparency in grayscale and RGB images.

I love pngs! They do take more space than jpg or gif's but they are so much better in quality. And I wouldn't even think of using a bmp...pfft. Imageshack.us lets you host pmgs for free (up to 1 mb)

melanie is right. PNGs are better quality than bmp, jpg, gif, etc.As you have mentioned imageshack, how the heck do you think they are able to store so many pictures?!

I wait for the day when MNGs come out and destroy all.MNG (pronounced ``ming''), is short for Multiple-image Network Graphics. Designed with the same modular philosophy as PNG and by many of the same people, MNG is intended to provide a home for all of the multi-image capabilities that have no place in PNG. There is considerable debate over whether to make MNG a dirt-simple ``glue'' format around PNG or a complex multimedia format capable of integrating animations, audio and even video.

The future will be SVG Scalable Vector Graphics.Transparency, Really SMALL! and many moreBut for Images PNG is the better format because it doesn't creates any artifacts like other compressed formats (jpeg, gif ...).

png is a good image format, too bad ie have low support in standard. transparent png is kind a sux when view in ie. but this is not a problem a little tweak an it's done, and it kind a sux that you need to tweak to make it good for those ie users.

GIF anf JPEG images are at the center of certain lawsuits filed by the owners of the patents of the compression techniques used in these formats. So maybe to play safe, it would be goof to give PNGS a rty.