xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
soleimanian

Windows Vs Linux

Yeah... Windows is an okay operating system when it works....but i share my computer with my family, and windows does not protect the non-techies from virii spyware adware very well.when my computer illiterate family use linux, nomatter what they do, they are protected from adware, spyware and virii... i dont have to remind them what files that can downnload and hwat they cant.plus i dont have to keep teaching them how to do disk deframgments or virus scanner updates.or driver re-installations.anyways.... its all just opinions... any1 could argue this subject and never come to a conclusion.

If linux were Solaris, all of the accolades might be justifiable, but with so many different variants I can't be bothered. Reality in my limited (silicon Valley) world is that large companies use Windows and Solaris, AIX, or HP-UX.Therefore, there are more jobs requiring those skills. Very few companies have standardized on Linux, just check the job postings.Just my opinion - worth as much as I charged for it.js :)

Windows vs Linux:1: Security can depend on many different things... but the most the most crucial part is the core, the operating system. a secutity hole in the kernel will effect all applications, which is why fixing / patching security holes as soon as possible is VITAL... the advantage of linux, an open source OS is that this can be done very fast....not too long ago there was a major kernel bug, it enabled un-privilaged users to shutdown the machine by halting the kernel...(i think it was called evil) there was a patch available within 12 hours, and completely new kernel available within 5 days.it generally takes Microsoft several months to do this. (if they decide to do it at all)2: User firnedlyness....Linux can be setup (pre-installed) by an experianced user, and left to the computer illiterate.all the hard stuff is done once.. and never again.people who have never used a computer before can begin suing it easily. no further maintenance is required.however with windows, the computer illiterate people MUST learn how to update there virus scanners, Scan there drives for virii.. memorise rules about what files are save to download , and which are not (exe, com, dll, pif, bat, vbs) they must learn to de-fragment there hard disks, they must learn to edit the registry in some cases to remove virii..and after a year or so... they must learn to completely re-install windows, all the drivers, software, everything.linux is easyer in the case that it does not need ocnstant maintenance.3: applications...well.... there's nothing to argue here.

i'm still using windows xp...but i am thinking about changing to linux...got the Knoppix ..its pretty good..

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

knoppix is a good representation of what linux will do, and an amasing representation of its flexability, but if you want to get into linux, you deffinatly want an installable distro.