xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jcguy

MySQL

What exactly is mySQL? Is it a programming languauge like HTML, etc? I know that tables are very important in mySQL, and that the tables store all the data. But can you actually go about writing the code for a mySQL database?Thanks

SQL is easy. . .

if you wanna insert datas into databases,

example:

insert into table (name, age) values (peter, 10);
then peter will be added.

if you're going to delete datas,
example:
delete from table where name = "peter" && age = "10";
then peter will be deleted.

if you wanna change peter's information,
example:
update table table set name = "tom", age = "100" where name = "peter";
then peter will be tom. :):)

is this a good example??

MySQL is a relation database. In a relation databse all data is stored in tables. "Relation" come from the fact that attributes in table are related in someway. You might have used Microsoft Access sometime. It's databases are relation database like MySQL and in practise work the same way.

A table could consist for example this kind of attributes: "name", "homepage", "email"

And a row (or entry) could be "jcguy", "http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/;, "webmaster@jcguy.com"

See, all the attributes are "related", they all are information about jcguy.

What kilz explained in previous message was SQL which stands for Structured Query Language. It is a language for doing queries from relation databases.

To get to know more about using databases I'd recommend checking MySQL developer zone at http://dev.mysql.com/ . It has really good documetation.

MySQL isn't the only relation database around, there lot of others, which are probably equally good. MySQL is just so popular as it is open source under GPL and thus free.

Oh I see, no wonder mySQL acts like a database from which you can extract data - am I right?In cpanel there is this PostgreSQL Database. How different is this from mySQL? I tried accessing it and it looks no different from mySQL.Thanks for the teaching!

In cpanel there is this PostgreSQL Database. How different is this from mySQL? I tried accessing it and it looks no different from mySQL.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Postgre is an open source relation database just like MySQL. The differences between relation databases aren't anything huge. So if you learn to use one, you will learn to use the others with ease.

I found this article that compages Postgresql and mySQL. Basically, the articles says that the two databases differ in terms of their features, support, ease-of-use, stability, speed, and licensing models.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Read it, it's interesting!

BTW, can I copy the articles and paste it here or can I only link to that article?

Most people don't delve too deeply into MySQL, or at least I don't. I just know that it's a database that many PHP scripts use. Whenever you want to run a script like WordPress or Phpbb, then make sure you have a MySQL database to run it.Also, if more than one script requires a database, then you can have them all use the same database by adding different prefixes on each file to separate which files in the database belong to which script.