xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
proxies

Basic Tips and Tricks in HTML

Here is some quick links for basic html coding...

A quick and easy way to create your first web page! -> The easiest HTML guide for beginners

You'll learn how to create tables from real examples. -> How to create TABLE?

You will learn how to create frames from a real example. You'll see how to create a borderless frame, how to specify the target frame, etc. -> How to build FRAMES?

Follow a few easy steps to add sound to your web pages. -> How to add sound to a web page?

This page tells you how to automatically load a visitor to another web page. -> How to automatically load a visitor to another web page?

Thanks Proxies i was looking for a basic tutorial or something for a friend who wanted to learn basic html. You read my mind.

These tutorials are quite old. I also don't see why they can't teach valid XHTML Strict (or even HTML Strict) because their pages are almost all valid XHTML strict except for the <embed> element in the sound one and an unescaped ampersand in a referral link in some other ones.I know that they skip the "technical details" of HTML, but still, they should teach valid HTML Strict, not transitional.

I can't figure out how DIV tags work correctly yet :)

Div tags are painful! I spent ages trying to fix some on a website, but when you get them right, they're very useful.
Have a look at W3Schools, they have tutorials on css, as well as heaps of other topics here.

w3schools have amazing tutorials, as well htmlgoodies.com used to be a great resource... I haven't read much on the site in the past few years but they have sections for many things such as CSS so might be worth a look. Personally the biggest thing I find with css is simply to learn the differences between the different levels of style sheets and the different types of style definitions. Once you understanding the differences setting up div's and classes and everything just sort of falls into place :)

It has been a while since I have really looked into a lot of 'newer' scripts and HTML codes. I have been out of class for over a year now, and I am beginning to feel a little rusty to coding. I do use a little bit of HTML on my webpage, but I plan to add a lot of Flash to it. But if I wasn't so lazy, I would break out my Java, VB, and Dreamweaver HTML books and refresh myself on how to make really, really fun programs and additions to my site. But at the moment, it is quite difficult to even keep up with posting... So thanks for pulling this topic out of archives.... (Going to go find my books, now!)

The best place for reference in html and the correct use of its library of syntax's is http://www.w3schools.com/, this source is all you need to endow yourself in and build your skills in web development. If you spend enough time and effort in reading its tuturials and its explanations of each area you will have enough understanding to do websites that are professional and can definitely be marketable. W3schools taught me everything from html, css, and javascript. I also reference it every now and then because as your areas of speciliaty expand you will eventually forget certain things, because like any normal human if you dont use what you learn you will eventually forget what you have recently learned. Books are good sources, but I have learned that there is nothing in a book that the internet dont have. The internet itself is the index in the back of any book. So make use of your resources and expand your skills, you never know you might be the one developing a site that many investors might find great interest in and will buy your site out for millions of dollars hehe...

If your younger brother asks you to teach him HTML codings. Will you still teach him the way you were taught when MS Frontpage wasn't born yet? I mean you still have to learn HTML coding and editing 'traditionally'.

It’s good that you posted links rather then just quoting tutorials or worse not quoting them...
I never understood why you can find 1000s of tutorials about HTML but you are lucky to find 5 good ones about actual programming.
Anyways if I made the post I would have put...

You will learn how to create frames from a real example. You'll see how to create a borderless frame, how to specify the target frame, etc. -> How to build FRAMES?
Follow a few easy steps to add sound to your web pages. -> How to add sound to a web page?

Reasons why not to use frames. --> How to stop using FRAMES?

Why sound is annoying. --> Don’t use it or at least make an off button and have it default off.

Other then that they are good tutorials as long as new programmers know that it is not always cool to load up their site with un-necessary effects. Which is probably the more important then HTML itself.

My Opinion,
Sparkx

I'm another product of W3Schools tutorials. I figure we need more sites like that on any number of nonprogramming topics :) Anyway, a newer resource for learning and reference for html is reference.sitepoint.com/html. It hasn't been around for nearly as long as w3schools has, but it is an excellent reference. Sitepoint also has a great reference for CSS at reference.sitepoint.com/css.

In my opinion the Best way to Learn HTML is by using a Web Page Designing Program such as Dreamweaver, and using both the HTML only mode along with the visual creation mode. So when you input an object in the Visual Mode you can see the HTML behind it. You can learn simple HTML along with advanced coding by doing it that way. Also, since newer Web Design Programs also set up pages with CSS, you can learn a bit of Cascade Styling as well. I don't know if anyone else learned HTML in this method, but its how I learned what I have and none of my Pages look to bad. Also, when I used to like Nav Bars and other Java Acript Apps, I would copy the codes from Tutorial sites and then try to configure the Navigation Bars to look good on my site and as I did this through the script, it helped me to pcik up a bit of coding also.