xisto Community
OpaQue

Cooling the Processor

The last thread i had posted was about the underclocking the processor, as said by Cloak it can be done. So I assume it makes the computer run slow, as well as also prevents it from getting heated up (except when the load is Full). But there are still many ways to cool the processor without using the HARDWARE cooling devices.. most of them are like, programs which claim can cool the processor. What do you think, do they really work? Can they screw up something ? Some say that those are not recommended?I have heard of Waterfall. It is also a small program which can cool the processor. and those are also like dependent upon the model number of your processor and stuff. I had used them once , but I did not notice a big diffrence.May be the people at Tom's hardware can prove it out :)

hey is it phyically possible to cool processor using SOFTWARE? i mean how can u cool and control the current to the procesor using software wont it effect the pc internal current flows if u tamper one thing the other ciricuts get tamperd so i dont think it is wise idead to do so.

waterfall "trick" only works on win9x. win nt/2k/xp are "waterfalled" by their own.waterfall basically executes an HLT instruction to set CPU on a suspend mode.In Windows NT/2k/xp you can see an "idle process" running in task manager window, that takes 99% CPU usage in a system idle situation, that process has the only task to send HLT instruction to CPU.

It is impossible to cool a processor all on its own without physical intervention with the exception of some processors like Transmeta's Crusoe processor and the C3 Cyrix III (yuck!) because they are designed to be quiet and to have low heat dissipation in mind.Other than without a Nitrogen cooler/Water cooler/faster heatsink its impossible.

Everyone can cool his machine by removing some of the panels of the PC case. It really decrease the temperature but when the case is open there is lot of dust.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've open case, the temparature never pass 45Âş degree, and yes it get a lot of dust, well now i'm thinking to start to seed something there :P any suggestions .... :)

exist some programs like cpuidle, they can be underclock your pc, sincerely I had never used http://www.cpuidle.de/, I have just a big noise fan, but I prefeer this before burn my processor.

There some other alternatives to cool your processor, like OpaQue said, tom's hardware has the answer and have videos, if you want to see check these videos....

CPU Cooling With Liquid Nitrogen :) is something hard to do and expensive ....

Cooling the cpu at -51ÂşC using a compressor cooling ...

Water cooling this seems to be the most feasible idea to normal users.

PS: you need Divx 5 to see this videos.

i think for the most part, softwares that claim can cool probably limit how much CPU usage will actually be utilized, so it doesn't get to 100% and therefore doesn't heat up too much, but thats just what i think, not fact

why we are not talkin about "how to cool" a processor! i think thats the point where soo many people have interest in :P for example me!i had in the past so many problems to cool my CPU! then i buyed a real good CPUcooler! it was made of copper and it was great.. with heatpipes and everything! a good fan was also installed, but it had a temperatur about.. 105°C!! that was my "best" temp i got :P so i dont know, i buyed this great copper cooler and it seemed that it doesnt worked sooo good :P then i bought a new system! that is with a worse cooler but it has a lower temp! and 1000MHz more! i dont know what happened with this coppercooler that it dont wanna work!! :P but now i decided to buy awatercooling system!! :P:P thats great i think!what do you do to keep your PC cool ? had you similar experiences with copper?? :P

All of the cooling methods work in some way or another. But does it really matter? Your cpu is designed to work properly up to a certain temperature and only if you exceed that temperature for a given length of time your cpu gets fried. So why would someone harass themselves about reducing their cpu temperature if it is not over-clocked? Your hard drive generate almost as much heat as your cpu and dissipate the heat in the case.Now if you got hot air circulating in the case then the cooling fan on the cpu will be blowing hot air on the heat-sink and reduce the amount of heat that gets dissipated from the cpu. So stick two fans in the case one on top and one in the back and don’t worry about it. If your computer is not over-clocked then you don’t have anything to worry about.

I've been thinking about getting a water cooling system for my computer for a little while, but haven't really looked into it too much because I just can't afford it right now. When I get some money together I will seriousky consider it. I was just wondering, has anyone here installed their own H2O cooling system? I watched that video posted previously in this thread about water cooling, and it all seems pretty complicated. Well the video wasn't exactly straight forward either, not like a step by step guide, so I guess it's not much of a great example. But is it really that hard to install? I'm guessing you can just buy a water cooling kit from a shop and it would come with instructions on how to install it properly? I'd just like to hear from someone who has done it themselves how easy or hard it actually was to install.

lol! you really thinks its hard to install? NOOO!! its not! its sooo easy! really! i installed a water cooling system in the PC of a friend! his installation was not soo easy cause he wanted to have it in the side of his pc.. but anyway, after 1 hour it was installed! now i will buy a H2O cooling system in my case con i will construct :P today its easy to install it couse the market get more and more userfriendly! some years ago just real freaks needed a watercoolingkit and onley they could install it :P hehe, in this content i am a freak but i had not enough money and no use for a watercooling!!but now i will have a new case and there to have a watercooling will be much better! i can decide where the blowhole should be and everything! my friend, where i installed the watercooling-kit, is very satisfied with it! because of that will buy also one! so if anyone thinks he could perhaps have a need for a H2O-kit should buy i think =) they are not sooooo expensive and espeacially for me its grea fun to install something like this! and then my CPU will run @ 3500+!! :P:P perhaps i will make fotos and everything when i am nstalling my watercooling-kit! and then i perhaps make a tutorial here :P we will see....

This is the BEST , most ECONOMIC , FASTEST, EASYEST way to cool the procesor and all of your components . (i have a big MOF air cooloer and the temp in my room is 20C)..Try it !! I have been using this method for 6 months now ... the only CON is the cooler noize and the dust but with a good cooler and reguar dusting... resolve those problems

I Have a Desknote G773 from ECS with p4 3.2Ghz/800BUS/512Kb. The G733 run at 400/533bus, and the result with p4 3.2Ghz/800BUS/512Kb are a P4 2.12Ghz Hyperthreading with low temp.My conclusion is underclocking is very simple system to refrigerate CPU with best perfomance (hyperthreading for example).