xisto Community
bennettciaran

Concrete Driveway Contractors

Sisic Concreting means solid concrete services in Ballarat and surroundings. For us, our work is about building a quality product that lasts. So when you need anything concrete-related, remember that we are foremost in our field. A concrete contractor can do more than just lay block concrete! We design, mix, pour, and decorate to order. Remember, concrete services in Ballarat and Western Victoria means Sisic Concreting.

concrete driveway contractors

Well, you are too far away to help me any, but here's some thoughts for you. Have you done any dog kennel work? Might be something to look into. Be forewarned however. Pouring and molding concrete for a kennel is a very tricky and demanding job. It takes a true professional. It is imperative that kennel concrete is done very carefully. You can't leave even the smallest low places in your work, because the water will puddle in those areas and cause serious problems for the dogs that will be living there later, not to mention cleaning headaches for the owners forever if you make a mistake. Those low places hold moisture and can make ugly green or black spots in the concrete which are difficult to clean, since any cleaners left on them like bleach could be damaging or dangerous to the dogs feet that run on the concrete later. It gets rather tricky because most kennel slabs are poured at an angle so they can be hosed off into a ditch, either on one end, or a trough down the middle, and great care needs to be given to the amount of slope given to the concrete slab so you get good drainage and can keep it clean. And not only do you have to slope the main slab, there is the mater of the angling the refuse ditch so the waste can be hosed to one end or the other or the middle depending on the kennel owners set up and preferences. It will most likely need to be angled another direction.

Another point to mention is the depth of the refuse ditch. Many of the kennels I have seen have a ditch that is far to shallow. Most kennel owners use some sort of high pressure washer that really sends dog turds flying. In a too shallow ditch, they end up being blown back up onto the runs you are trying to wash them out of. If ditch happens to be on the end of the slab, many kennel owners don't realize that hosing down that area will put a lot of water on the ground completely missing the concrete slab and making a muddy mess at the end of the kennel. Keep the ditch deeper helps this problem somewhat, but there may still be excessive amounts of water that need to be addressed with some sort of fill or drainage method.

Also keep in mind the actual texture of the concrete. Excessively rough surfaces may be difficult on the dogs pads, and hard to clean. However, very slick concrete surfaces are also very slippery for the kennel owner to walk on so texture is also an important consideration.

A member listed as being from the State of Nevada, USA posting a link to a concrete company in Australia looks a tad bit wonky to me. Especially as their first Topic on the Forum. Quite unusual.

Yes, I noticed that too. Had me rather curious. But hey, desperate times call for desperate measures, even if that includes responding to wonky posts. So few new ones, at least this was one I could say something about. I have considerable experience with dealing not with the actual pouring of concrete, but working with the results of it. And if not done correctly it certainly can be a nightmare.

Indeed it can become a mess in a hurry.

I have done concrete in the past on several large commercial jobs.

One very difficult pour was a car wash with sumps and drains similar to what you describe. Forming the sumps and drains was very challenging. And the slope was critical, too. Too steep and it became slippery, too flat and it does not drain properly.

But it worked out okay. Nearly 20 years ago and it is still in operation.

Yes, then you have a very good idea of what I'm talking about with all the slopes and making proper drainage. It's really even more critical in a kennel, since the dogs will actually be living on the finished surface, and you have inspectors who seriously frown on any spots of standing water or even ugly stains on concrete.