xisto Community
sheepdog

Office

Is there someplace I can buy Microsoft Office without paying nearly half as much as I gave for my new lap top computer to start with? Cheapest I've found so far is $130. Sadly, I can't even read my files on my laptop I need to have with me when I go on vacation without it. My old office program is not compatible with Windows 8. I also will have to find it downloadable, since the lap top doesn't have a disk drive. And I'm wondering it you buy a download, what happens if your computer dies and you have to get a new one, do you have to buy it again? You know, I just hate spending money on non tangible stuff. I don't bat an eye on spending $600 on a dog, but you can see and pick up and hold a dog.

SheepDog,
You should consider using LibreOffice. I've been using it instead of Microsoft Office lately. I do buy Microsoft Windows by buying only laptops that have Windows pre-installed, but the prices they charge for Microsoft Office is more than what I was willing to pay when I got my last laptop (I was out-of-work at the time) - I got pretty decent hardware and most of my development tools were open source.
Microsoft Office 365 is available with a subscription model too, if you prefer. You can pay an annual fee and they also provide you with space to store your documents and emails. There's also the one-time payment option that we've had with earlier releases of Microsoft Office.

Oh, I like saving money! I will definitely give that a try! Thanks so much. Don't know what I would do without you guys.

Had a new problem today, needed to print out a copy of my 2012 taxes, and now I can't even print out anything unless I buy some stupid program on the new desktop computer, says my free trial has expired. It is called Nitro pro 7. Seems I can't win for loosing.

I think I looked at that Office 365 at Wally World today, I didn't really understand what it was and I noticed that it included cloud space, which I have no use or desire for. I'll keep my files on cd's or on the computer thank you. That way I know where they are and who is looking at them. Yes, I know, I am not a trusting person. I won't be shopping at Target any time in the near future either. Of course, that can be avoided by just paying cash I suppose. Which is usually the way I do things.

Oh, by the way, where do you get that free beer you were talking about!? :)

Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)