xisto Community
Emet

Do You Like Cooking?

I like it if I'm not so tired I just am not in the mood. Hubby and I take turns cooking, and while I am always glad it isn't my night to cook, I really don't mind it if I haven't had a hard day at the kennel and just don't have the energy to get the job done. I have an entire book shelf filled with recipe books, but I virtually never open one. I like to put a pan on the stove, and start rummaging threw the refrigerator and tossing things that seem like they might go good together in it. Believe it or not, I've come up with some pretty tasty results. And of course, some not so hot. Hubby never complains of course. We play by cowboy rules here. Let me explain that to those of you who have no idea what cowboy rules are. A group of cowboys were out on the range on a long cattle drive when the cook got bit by a rattlesnake and died. None of the cowboys wanted the job of cooking. They finally came to an agreement that one of them would do the cooking, but the first time someone else complained about the cooking that person would have to take over the job. It went along ok for awhile, but eventually the cowboy convert cook got real tired of cooking. He tried everything to botch the meals so someone would complain and he could pass the job on to the next cowboy. Nothing seemed to work. The other cowboys would eat their dinners in stony silence, grimacing perhaps, but never saying a word of complaint. The cook finally had all he could take. The next night he dumped an entire 5 pound bag of salt in the beans. One of the other cowboys finally broke at dinner time, exclaiming "Eeew ee these beans are salty!" Instantly realizing his mistake he quickly added, "Just the way I like them!" :D

Cooking seems a whole lot of fun when you see Yan cooking. He had an old cooking show in the 90s and he would always use the tag line, "Yan Can Cook, So Can You." The all-purpose Chinese knives that he uses are a kind of a multi-purpose thing - you can use them for chopping, and you can use them sideways to smack down on the cloves of garlic. Most cooks have such skill with the knife that you always wonder how they manage to do it. I've barely cooked a dozen meals because the seasoning that I add is a hit-or-miss.
In recent years, I haven't looked at a recipe book. Pretty much everything is available as a YouTube video and if there isn't, well there's an opportunity to cook something up and put up a video on YouTube.

I love cooking, however, being married to a kitchen princess eliminates the need for cooking for me a great deal.

Furthermore, my physical situatrion does not allow me to stand up for long now, so cooking has become a no-no for me now.

That does not alter the fact, however, that I can still let you have some lovely recipes, and, like my other half does, in various styles and traditions, meaning, from various parts of Europe, a bit of Chines, Arabic, a few curries etc.

I'll have a look for the right place to dump some of them and then let peoplewho want to have a bit of a feast.

Oh, by the way, I almost forgot to mention, the recipes do not all involve main dishes, they can also be about desserts, baking, soups and other things.

So, just watch other spaces and see them coming.

3 minutes ago, M6NEN said:

being married to a kitchen princess eliminates the need for cooking for me a great deal.

Ouch! Don't you think that the kitchen princess would also love having somebody cooking for her ?

Just now, yordan said:

Ouch! Don't you think that the kitchen princess would also love having somebody cooking for her ?

Maybe, maybe not, but she loves being in the kitchen and doing her cooking and looking after hubby.

The thing is, kitchen princess is aware that I am no longer able to do it.

As I mentioned before, I used to love cooking, but it is no longer possible.

To be quite honest, I am not 100% sure if the missus would like to have someone cooking for her, as it is one of her favourite jobs, you can certainly taste that when you sit down at the table tasting her cooking.

I try to spoil her in other ways then. :D 

I wish I had such a legitimate reason. I don't just have cooking patience. As much as I'd love to have amazing dinners every night, I nearly always put a steak into the pot, get mad when it's just not done after ten seconds, yell, eat a bag of chips, throw a steak that is 10% cooked out of the window into my neighbor's yard.

On 6/9/2021 at 12:10 PM, HumusLeo said:

throw a steak that is 10% cooked out of the window into my neighbor's yard.

If your neighbor has dogs, they will feel happy each time you feed them with 10% cooked steaks!?