xisto Community
mrdee

Reducing The Amount Of Dog Fur Indoors.

Hello,

I think this would be a nice post for Sheepdog to sink her teeth into, but, obviously, anyone who can give advice is more than welcome to post replies.

The situation is this:

We have four labradors, a mum and dad and two sons.]

The mum and dad are both black, mum is an American labrador and dad is an English labrador.

The sons are white and chocolate respectively.

We have an enormous problem with the dogs shedding their fur, we never get finished with hoovering and cleaning up.

As soon as the place has been hoovered, the fur starts appearing on the floor again.

It also seems that it is mainly the dad and white son shedding fur, we see it from the colour, distinctive white hairs all the time, and we notice it when we brush them, as mum and the chocolate son barely leave any fur in the brush, but from dad and the white son, the brush immediately gets filled up with fur.

In order to prevent the shedding, we brush the dogs every day, but it has not lead to a lot of results so far.

I have also tried all the things I learned from my experience working for a vet years ago, but nothing seems to help.

Is there anyone who knows a solution to reduce the amount of fur indoors, apart from shaving all their fur off?

I am well aware of the fact that you can never get rid of all the fur they shed, but as things are at this moment, it is way over the top.

If anyone could give further advice, we would be extremely grateful.

Well, you might not like my advice.....get a Schnauzer! They don't shed.

Oddly and quite possibly difficult to believe, a big hairy sheepdog will not shed off as much as a lab will. the long hair helps bind the hairs together, they tend to form clumps that hang in there until you brush them out (or shave them off) Short haired breeds like labs have nothing to hold the hair back. I am surprised to hear brushing is not helping, usually that way at least you get all the hair in one place, the brush, where you can pick it out and put it in the trash instead of coating your entire house with it. I have always had Schnauzers as house pets, so I have never really had to deal much with shedding. We did have a pug for some years, and all I can say about that is thank god we had pug colored carpeting in the house because she was a disaster when it came to shedding.

Thanks for the question, even if I couldn't be much help, at least it's something to talk about.